• Create Account

Is this bad?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crusable   Members   -  Reputation: 592

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hello, I am working on a project in sfml and I am making a very basic tile map editor. I am working on the tile selection and this is how I got the selected tile to snap to a 64* 64 tile:

m_sfSelectedTilePos.x = (float)(((int)m_sfEvent.mouseButton.x / 64) * 64);
m_sfSelectedTilePos.y = (float)(((int)m_sfEvent.mouseButton.y / 64) * 64); 

"C spilled his beer all over C++'s shirt. Outraged, C++ shouted, "Good god, man! Have you no class?"

"Your mother is so fat that the recursive function that was used to calculate her mass created a stack overflow"

Sponsor:

#2 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1561

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't think it is bad, but I think it is better to work with integers. Assumming the position of a tile is the top left corner, then a tile at index (1, 2) should have the position (1 * 64, 2 * 64) = (64, 128). So the float position can be calculated only when absolutely needed.

So then the index of a tile would be calculated by
m_sfSelectedTileIndex.x = m_sfEvent.mouseButton.x / 64;
m_sfSelectedTileIndex.y = m_sfEvent.mouseButton.y / 64;

Edited by ultramailman, 06 May 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#3 Crusable   Members   -  Reputation: 592

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

When you mean work with ints do you mean make all my floats into ints. Most SFML's classes I am using uses sf::Vector2f's.

"C spilled his beer all over C++'s shirt. Outraged, C++ shouted, "Good god, man! Have you no class?"

"Your mother is so fat that the recursive function that was used to calculate her mass created a stack overflow"

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19628

3Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Two maxims: Programmers should never repeat themselves, and magic numbers are bad.

Create a function to snap to a tile.  Perhaps use the signature Vector2F SnapToTile(Vector2F source) { }.

Second, rather than using the constant 64, instead use a static const int defined in a header file somewhere.

Your version will always snap to the nearest border, and perhaps someday you would rather the function snap to the nearest tile boundary.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#5 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1561

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

When you mean work with ints do you mean make all my floats into ints. Most SFML's classes I am using uses sf::Vector2f's.

Not at all, the position can still be float. Simply multiply the index by 64, and cast to a float.

#6 ByteTroll   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1221

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Two maxims: Programmers should never repeat themselves, and magic numbers are bad.

Create a function to snap to a tile.  Perhaps use the signature Vector2F SnapToTile(Vector2F source) { }.

Second, rather than using the constant 64, instead use a static const int defined in a header file somewhere.

Your version will always snap to the nearest border, and perhaps someday you would rather the function snap to the nearest tile boundary.

Your way of doing things is not bad, but Frob's way will probably work better in the long run.  Quickly adding to Frob's answer, I would poll the values from somewhere.  Most editors have a drop down menu that lets you select snapping values.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I see the future in 1's and 0's
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

#7 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3042

2Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'd recommend using floor() rather than casting to int back and forth. The casting can be several times slower (if performance is an issue)

Note that floor( -3.3 ) = -4; while (int)-3.3 = -3; but floor's behavior is usually how you want snapping to work if negative numbers are possible.

#8 Crusable   Members   -  Reputation: 592

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

Two maxims: Programmers should never repeat themselves...

What did you mean by this?

#9 DaleyPaley   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

By the way, you can use floor() instead of converting to ints:

m_sfSelectedTilePos.x = floor(m_sfEvent.mouseButton.x / 64) * 64;

Edit: oops, just saw that Matias already said it. Sorry!

Edited by DaleyPaley, 07 May 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#10 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12367

1Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Two maxims: Programmers should never repeat themselves...

What did you mean by this?

The code in the first post contains two lines of code that are almost identical. Chances are you can give the operation a good name and put it in a function.

I also recommend writing operations on vectors or points instead of having high-level code do everything component by component.
float snap_to_multiple(float x, float size) {
  return std::floor(x / size) * size;
}

Point snap_to_grid(Point p, float tile_size) {
  Point result;
  result.x = snap_to_multiple(p.x, tile_size);
  result.y = snap_to_multiple(p.y, tile_size);

return result;
}

// ...

m_sfSelectedTilePos = snap_to_grid(m_sfEvent.mouseButton, 64.0f);

Edited by Álvaro, 07 May 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#11 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1234

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

A simple solution to force casting to snap the value is to use a half-unit offset:

iX = (int)(fX + 0.5f);

or to support both positive and negative values:

iX =  fX > 0 ? (int)(fX + 0.5f) : (int)(fX - 0.5f);

Note: casting to int truncates towards zero.

Edit: I was too rash - better solutions have been posted above since you're not dealing with unit intervals.

#12 DevFred   Members   -  Reputation: 836

0Likes

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

If you want to round an int down to a multiple of 64, you can use bitmasking:

x = x & ~63;

Note that this only works for powers of two.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS