• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

A super bad designs to avoid

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1504

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

So I wrote this for my second project for Data Structures. The method chaining got out of control and I violated so many rules of encapsulation. 

I have 2 years with general programming experience so how could I gone wrong? Well, I was so focused on getting the features of the program to work. Once I understood how the features was suppose to work, i just hop on my seat and started typing. 

Behold my code:

// reduce exponent by one for all exponents greater than 1
  Main.getPolynomialHolder().get(polynomialIndex).getPolynomialVector().get(i).setExponent(Main.getPolynomialHolder().get(polynomialIndex).getPolynomialVector().get(i).getExponent()-1);

Yeah...not pretty one bit. I am gonna get a failing grade for this...*virtual smack on forehead*

Let this be a lesson to all newcomers on what not to do. This issue is actually scattered in multiple lines of code. Aw man I am doomed.

Edited by warnexus, 07 May 2013 - 01:43 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 ZebraQuake   Members   -  Reputation: 131

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

You could have at least kept the property as it's own variable, haha.

//This is really pretty
Polynomial banana = Main.getPolynomialHolder().get(polynomialIndex).getPolynomialVector().get(i);
banana.setExponent(banana.getExponent() - 1);

#3 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1504

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

//This is really pretty
Polynomial banana = Main.getPolynomialHolder().get(polynomialIndex).getPolynomialVector().get(i);

Yeah that could have been more readable. Someone on this forum once quoted saying at most you should do is " a.b() " which is a good quote.

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8284

1Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

//This is really pretty

This of course depends on whether or not the various "get"s have other side-effects and the code relies on them being called twice......

shudder

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 gautamn15   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

I have seen a lot of people do something like that in production code just to be extra smart. Sadly for being extra smart you generally get a bunch of crashes and bugs which someone else will have to fix. 

#6 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4793

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Doing more than 3 or 4 "concatenated" method calls always makes me doubt if what I'm doing is right.

But then, making a single do-all method call makes you think if that method does more than it should :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

PARTNERS