• Create Account

Load/Perf Testing Interview Help!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Violet Sagmiller   Members   -  Reputation: 896

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

(my apologies if this is not the best place for this post, it seemed the most related)

I'm flying in for an interview with Microsoft's Gaming Division.  I will be working on Load Testing for companies creating XBox games, to make sure server communication handling is comfortable prior to release.  I have reasonable past experience on it, but I'm hoping to expand my perceptions on it.  

For load/perf/stress testing, what do you look for/take care of?  What advice could you give.  Naturally, I will be using MS technologies, but generalized technology discussions on this are also welcome.  

Thanks.

Example questions:  What types of questions might you ask in relation to determining the best user profiles?  What metrics are important? Do you have a generic process you follow?  Any tips in general?  Also, feel free to give vague starter responses.  I'm pretty comfortable with load/perf testing, but I don't want to presume I have all my basis covered.  (Hence this post)  

Thanks.  laugh.png

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

My Game(s), Warp Wars is in early development and can be found here: http://blog.WarpWars.Net.

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5108

1Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

"Tell me about automated data capture and review tools you've used." (Note: if whatever you're using is less capable than open source like https://github.com/imvu-open/istatd then you're not doing enough!)

"You need to run this piece of software on 300 Windows machines. It requires a redist upgrade for a package that requires a user to accept an EULA when installing. What do you do?"

"We put covers on our TPS reports now. Did you get a copy of the memo?"
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 Dan Violet Sagmiller   Members   -  Reputation: 896

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

@hplus0603, I presume these are ideas of interview questions and not ones you are expecting answers to.  :D

And I'm pretty sure TPS reports won't be a part of this. :)

Thanks.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

My Game(s), Warp Wars is in early development and can be found here: http://blog.WarpWars.Net.

#4 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5108

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yup, those are sample questions. Although they're slanted to show why I don't like Windows much for servers :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19841

2Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

What advice could you give.

Get a good night's sleep since they are flying you in.

Get some exercise about a half hour before the interview, such as light jogging.  Just enough to get your blood flowing.

I don't believe cramming for an interview will help.  Either you are a good fit naturally (which will be proven in the first 90 days) or not.

Make sure you ask them questions.  It isn't just if they are a good match for you.  Be prepared to turn them down if they don't fit your needs.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS