• Create Account

How does "Floating Touch" work on Galaxy S4?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1133

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm really curious about technology behind the "Floating Touch" feature for Galaxy S4. For those who haven't heard about it, essentially what it does, is lets the device know when the finger is near the screen with, but not touching. You can see it in this video example: 

The only thing I can think of some kind of high conductivity touch panel, which is very sensitive to any electrical impulses. Also, you can use your gloves with this phone. I think it's pretty damn amazing.

So what do you think? Maybe you have some links to articles about the tech behind all this, I would like to read about it.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21331

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

It already exists on several devices.

There are several articles out for it, like this one about Sony's Sola.  I expect the S4 does something similar.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2826

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

sensitive capacative surface sounds about right.

It's not that hard to build a basic single point "touch sensor" from some metal foil and an a/d-converter that will react long before you actually touch it.

I'd imagine the hard part would be to filter out unwanted signals and get resolution and reliability up.

I've also seen this done with a desk-sized screen with cameras behind a back-projected screen interpreting the shadows of your hand.

This screen, which we ported some of our games for to make this demo:  smile.png

(though we don't use the near touch feature in our demo)

Edited by Olof Hedman, 08 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS