• Create Account

What an emperor of a space empire does?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#21 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1435

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

An emperor rains down riches, entertainment, status and power on his most loyal subjects so he can eat, drink, sleep and reproduce while others do his job for him xD

He can also punish failures, though if his subjects fail that usually means he didn't delegate tasks very good.

He probably also has to deal with his (royal) family and royalty and/or ambassadors from other countries.

Sponsor:

#22 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1435

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Oh, reproduction is the most important, biologically humans mainly enjoy power to increase their reproduction-chances;

bastard-children would be plentifull, and could potentially be put in places of high power, or just be left to take their own chance,

official offspring would have to be protected and made ready to fullfill the role of emperor.

#23 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7077

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Oh, reproduction is the most important, biologically humans mainly enjoy power to increase their reproduction-chances;

bastard-children would be plentifull, and could potentially be put in places of high power, or just be left to take their own chance,

official offspring would have to be protected and made ready to fullfill the role of emperor.

Hate to say this, but one of the major differences between a king and an emperor is that the emperor is not hereditary: it is based on merit and bestowed by a third party (often a religious power).

Having children is thus rather pointless, more often than not, emperors that attempted to pass their powers to their sons created a revolution.

In an empire, the emperor tends to be middle-aged to old as succession is rarely won by a young unproven fellow...

#24 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3459

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Do not forget we are talking about space emperors here :) Do not be tied by Earth's history (it's just one measly planet, thus not representative at all :D)

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

#25 AltarofScience   Members   -  Reputation: 932

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hate to say this, but one of the major differences between a king and an emperor is that the emperor is not hereditary: it is based on merit and bestowed by a third party (often a religious power).

Having children is thus rather pointless, more often than not, emperors that attempted to pass their powers to their sons created a revolution.

In an empire, the emperor tends to be middle-aged to old as succession is rarely won by a young unproven fellow...

This is not accurate. Many prominent empires involved dynasties of rules connected by heredity. The Byzantine Empire being the obvious example. Just like a kingdom a dynasty can be kicked out and a new one put in place but the goal of all emperors is a lineage that continues upon their death.

Empires are less stable in many cases since you need a larger group of supporters to maintain majority power but they often at least technically based on hereditary succession.

#26 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1739

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I can think of a few dozen empires in history that were hereditary, but I can't think of one that wasn't besides the Holy Roman Empire, and even they were essentially hereditary for the most part.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#27 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3459

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Again, please people, SPACE EMPEROR, not historical :) It's for a SF game. Please, please, don't turn this topic into a useless historical discussion.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

#28 AltarofScience   Members   -  Reputation: 932

1Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well to answer the title directly, nothing. Because the kind of culture needed to run an interstellar society is as far from imperial as can be. Even aside from the fact that a single person could never handle that much complexity. I am speaking strictly to feasibility of space empires.

As far as what random crap you could make up for him to do, he probably does whatever regular emperors do, because otherwise why call him an emperor?

Lots of wining and dining, orgies, random executions, parades in dress cloths. If you have instant communication he might be an admiral of a fleet or something.

From the games I've seen of yours you aren't seriously asking what his day to day routine is. Day to day routine is boring as shit whether you are an emperor or a serf.

He would probably have meetings with his spymaster and treasurer, but in my experience video games tend to abstract that out to always on menus like resource bars.

#29 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1739

1Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Actually an absolute monarchy feudal system makes a lot of sense for a vast civilization. (There are very much major problems with democracy, namely it is hard enough to get twenty people in a club of shared interests to fully agree on something, let alone a few hundred billion spanning dozens of planets.)

At that scale the emperor doesn't need to make direct decisions, he handles high level elements and delegates the actual work and details to others. The emperor is the one setting goals, others do the work to actually achieve them. The key point of the emperor is then to basically bully everyone into making sure the job gets done, and ensuring the right people are in the right places at the highest level. He becomes who the lesser people answer to when things go wrong.

Factories in one sector are under preforming, and that is impacting Imperial Economics? Emperor yells at his minster/lord/whatever in charge of that region, who in turn yells at his subordinates, who yell at their subordinates, etc, etc, and eventually the problem is fixed, or another round of yelling takes place and a few heads roll. If it continues with changes (that the emperor doesn't even really need to know about) at the lower level not having an effect, then the emperor 'steps in' and puts someone else in charge of the whole mess.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#30 AltarofScience   Members   -  Reputation: 932

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Actually an absolute monarchy feudal system makes a lot of sense for a vast civilization. (There are very much major problems with democracy, namely it is hard enough to get twenty people in a club of shared interests to fully agree on something, let alone a few hundred billion spanning dozens of planets.)

At that scale the emperor doesn't need to make direct decisions, he handles high level elements and delegates the actual work and details to others. The emperor is the one setting goals, others do the work to actually achieve them. The key point of the emperor is then to basically bully everyone into making sure the job gets done, and ensuring the right people are in the right places at the highest level. He becomes who the lesser people answer to when things go wrong.

Factories in one sector are under preforming, and that is impacting Imperial Economics? Emperor yells at his minster/lord/whatever in charge of that region, who in turn yells at his subordinates, who yell at their subordinates, etc, etc, and eventually the problem is fixed, or another round of yelling takes place and a few heads roll. If it continues with changes (that the emperor doesn't even really need to know about) at the lower level not having an effect, then the emperor 'steps in' and puts someone else in charge of the whole mess.

This isn't true. Feudal systems are useless at large population values and they are not good for any sort of ingenuity based society. Heredity is a fucking terrible system for quality rulers. Its rife with corruption, too.

Aside from Dune which was more about planet ecology than interstellar politics there are almost no examples of imperial systems in speculative fiction. Sometimes you have them in role playing IPs but that's because its "cool" and "epic."

#31 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18219

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I can think of a few dozen empires in history that were hereditary, but I can't think of one that wasn't besides the Holy Roman Empire, and even they were essentially hereditary for the most part.

Egypt had a interesting ruler system. If I recall correctly, it was passed between family members, but not from parent to child. It passes from the current ruler, to next oldest sibling of that ruler, and then it passes down to the oldest sibling's oldest child, and goes through his siblings, then it passes back up to the next oldest sibling's oldest child, and so on. Basically the oldest living relative, with older generations getting priority even over older individuals of a younger generation (find oldest generation -> find oldest relative in that generation).

Note that 'sibling' can be male or female. They'd also intermarry to strengthen and consolidate power, and so there would be co-regencies of two people ruling at once with more or less equal authority, or with one (either female or male) wielding more power than their spouse.

I might be mistaken about this though - I never studied the topic and only heard about it from others.

Aside from Dune which was more about planet ecology than interstellar politics there are almost no examples of imperial systems in speculative fiction. Sometimes you have them in role playing IPs but that's because its "cool" and "epic."

Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series (particularly the prequels) takes place in a galactic empire, and the politics of the emperor and his prime ministers, then the gradual fall and collapse of the empire, and the dark ages that follow. The Players of Null-A also deal with an empire that is trying to conquer the other occupied planetary systems.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 19 May 2013 - 04:07 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#32 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7077

1Likes

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Securing alliances/mutual trust with his immediate underlings. Feudal system applies here very well, and insuring loyalty where your eyes can't reach should be important.

In games such as Romance of the Three Kingdoms, you could gift your generals with wifes, horses, riches, etc to insure their loyalties. You might want to include this too.

#33 ActiveUnique   Members   -  Reputation: 813

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

When I think of Emperor...

I think this is a man who can tell anyone what to do, and they'll do it, because he may not be the definition of a god, but he is damn near the closest thing to a god they've got in their world. People will take him too literally, react strongly in agreement out of excitement and fear, and behave like he's perfect. He has power and wisdom that his subjects can't understand.

To be an effective Emperor, an Emperor needs to know everything there is to tell people what to do. Very much like a high-level managerial position in a corporate business firm, but with more of an instant impact to his entire economy from casual words; this could be shortened to "his word is [our] law." If he's not a genius then he wouldn't be Emperor.

This is the guy who does or says whatever he wants, frivolous or well planned, with huge results. He can also make achievements and mistakes, with huge results. I'd call the Emperor Huge-Results guy but I think maybe it has a bit less of a ring.

Here's an article to help quash the very likely King vs Emperor debate that started, I can see it stirring up from one upward glance.
www.diffen.com/difference/Emperor_vs_King

I've read about the idea guy. It's a serious misnomer. You really want to avoid the lazy team.

#34 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7077

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

This isn't true. Feudal systems are useless at large population values and they are not good for any sort of ingenuity based society. Heredity is a fucking terrible system for quality rulers. Its rife with corruption, too.

That's interesting... Technically, the feudal system has the ability to expand at will, whereas centralized systems generally fall short on bureaucracy and their inability to bring a suitable digest of everything to the core-ruling members.

The feudal system is efficient in that it confers local authority to the followers of the king (and down the hierarchy of titles).

#35 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9175

1Likes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Anyone, more ideas/thoughts? It's brainstorming,

He could make a space harem, collecting females from every planet. And he could play a fiddle while the universe explodes.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#36 Wavinator   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1672

1Likes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

I like game ideas with the potential for intrigue. An emperor who's having to deal with a potentially scheming mate, siblings or offspring is interesting in a kind of MacBeth sort of way. 

You can add a lot of things with a hard SF route. Maybe the future emperor is post-human or the society is heavily into VR, in which case maybe endless amounts of time are spent in simulated realities hunting, adventuring or competing. Maybe the emperor is creating elaborate programmatic constructs, birthing artificial life or creating a legacy for his entire species in the form of a great work like a Dyson Sphere. Or maybe he's engineering his species or himself in order to take the next step in evolution.

I think the space emperor gets interesting when you tweak him enough so that his routines are unexpected. I mean, after all, if he's just like some historical Earth emperor why not set him in the past? But to make his world interesting I think you have to do more world building concerning what kind of society he rules.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

#37 TechnoGoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2655

2Likes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

If memory serves me in the Warhammer 40K universe the emperor is engaged in a constant mental battle with the forces of chaos. What if the emperors in the SF universe are like that?  They engage in the grand game an endless struggle on another plane of existence for the hearts and minds of the galaxy.  Their fleets and colonies but pieces in the game.

Emperors can use their mental energy to build hyperspace links between areas connecting their worlds or building bridges to the far flung corners of the galaxy.

They can manipulate the evolution of their subjects making them stronger warriors or smarter scientists.

They can wreak havoc amongst their enemies by causing a wave of mass paranoia to sweep through their empire or sabotage research and grand construction projects. Even destroy whole fleets by collapsing hyperspace bridges.

Emperors compete to spread influence and control over the galaxy claiming planets and civilizations as they go.  Which would actually make a really interesting change to the standard 4X format. The galaxy could have numerous inhabited planets and civilizations which you absorb into your empire as you expand. Each with their  own distinctive characteristics which are added to your collective. Absorbing other species into your empire being the main expansion method instead of colonization.

Different types of emperors would have their own unique abilities and challenges.

The God Emperor - Can sacrifice his people by the thousand to gain power

The Sentient AI - Can spread to any sufficiently advanced planet but lacks influence on primitive ones.

The Witch Queen - Can influence the interdimensional monsters they prey on mental energy.

The ideal - Can better manipulate planets are unaligned.

Writing Blog: The Aspiring Writer

Novels:
Legacy - Black Prince Saga Book One - By Alexander Ballard

Current Projects: Rags to Riches -prototype increment game - Design V1

Android Apps:

#38 SuperG   Members   -  Reputation: 482

1Likes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

A very general "everything welcome" brinstorming about what an emperor of some sort of a space empire can/should do? What are his daily routines what is his job?
Alternatively, you can note what he is not supposed to do.

It's for a strategy game that simulates a space emperor (rather then the space empire), so a game more from the point of view of the person, the emperor.

There is difference between empire and emperor.
The first is more used if some nation is apparently the most sucsesfull . Like kolonial sucses. Like the say the british empire. But it doesn't have a emperor. And it has a form democracy. But not directly ruled by the royal headfigure the king or queen. So its more a symbolic function.

A emperor rulez over it empire. More of a absolute ruler. So simulation of a emperor. Is more communicating with his advisors and military commanders. And anyone who directly reports to the emperor. Wich are a bunch of functions.He would see the space empire in a very high level of abstraction. And would only get lower if it was a very critical mission.

Then you have a choice, of what subgenre to go for. Political? Would fit more a non absolute ruled empire.
And political ath is not my choice and would go for that. But maybe others will.
So I would focus more on handling space empire from the point of view of the emperor. Communicating with his staf of commanders and advisors and special funcion like finance. Tech devision with education. You interact with NPC wich represent someting big.
Like communicating officer of commander runing a campain a war insome region of space. Head of militar technolegy. Top of security. Head of covert operation so critical mission and spying. Ministiry of defence. Also a command center where groups of military assets are representet in a iconic abstract way.

My opinion a emperor who rules the empire does so in a high level abstract way. Would not go into micro managing and command units far down the hiarchy of a battlegroup. A emperor can not multitask like a many 1000 core gpu. So he stick on desision wich go over the bigger picture of ruling empire. Also the empire does not do mission.

Like no ruling from a space fighter in battle. Wenn mobile it wouls be some flag ship battle star with a empirial command center department in it. The emperor controled that ship trough the commander or captain.

My guess is such game would be very AI heavy on different levels. A advisor is a AI agent like a ghost player who give hints or advise instead doing it self. Also option for cooperate play adviser with emperor.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS