• Create Account

What is a voxel mold?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

I am right now looking at the recast/detour library set. At first sight, I don't quite get the meaning of voxel mold.

Are there any illustrations for this?

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b, 09 May 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

2Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

It basically just means that they convert your polygonal mesh into a voxel representation of the same scene. They use a grid of blocks (voxels) instead of random triangles.

#3 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

In other words, A 3D block is a voxel. Same?

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

1Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

In basic terms, yes, in the same way that a 2D square is a pixel.

Using the technical definition, a pixel isn't actually a little 2D square, but it's a "sample point" in 2D space, and a voxel is a sample point in 3D space... but yes, calling it a 3D block in a grid of blocks is close enough to the truth wink.png

As with pixels, voxels can hold different kinds of data. e.g. you can have a 2D image that stores colours in the pixels, or you could have a black and white 2D image that represents areas that are solid or non-solid for collision detection.

The kind of voxels that you're talking about are basically a 3D grid of cubes, which are either solid or passable.

#5 lucky6969b   Members   -  Reputation: 624

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

21QkDPO.png

Now that I have the tiled mesh indicated in the picture. You see first that there are incomplete tiles/half tiles. Would that affect the way I program A*? or they can be treated as full tiles? I see there is a save button there, how would I use the tiled mesh data in the pathfinding? I mean are there any docs on it? There are also many triangular areas

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b, 10 May 2013 - 02:35 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS