• Create Account

Community college degree

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 rockstar8577   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

Is a CS degree from community college looked at differently than say a degree from a uni?

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9078

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

If it's a 4-year degree: no.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 rockstar8577   Members   -  Reputation: 259

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

So if I went to a community college I should go for a bachelor's and not an associate's is that right?

#4 lithos   Members   -  Reputation: 413

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

When I went to tech school they had deals with the UW(University Wisconsin) system to transfer 'most-ish' of the credits, though quite a bit less for things that weren't general ED(like IT credits).

though if you properly navigated around and got the right tech-degree+classes/electives at the tech school, it was pretty viable to treat your tech degree as an associates and go for a bachelors at a university.  

Edited by lithos, 10 May 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19628

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

The industry norm is a 4-year college degree in Computer Science or similar.  

This is what is normally asked for when going through the traditional route.  It is common to see it on job listings, and it is a common HR filter.

There are many exceptions, but the exceptions do not follow the normal career path.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#6 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9078

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

So if I went to a community college I should go for a bachelor's and not an associate's is that right?

Yes.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS