• Create Account

Blending Normal Maps

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi guys,

I'd like to create my base normal map in a 3d program (3ds) by baking high poly to low, then add fine detail in either Photoshop or my own program. I did research and there doesn't seem to be a good method, they are either blended in Photoshop (bad) or in a shader; I think that's because the tutorials aren't written by programmers.

I was thinking I can convert the two normal maps to vectors then combine them with a weighted sum, renormalize and convert them back to a normal texture. Will that be correct ? Do I just add the vector components or do I only offset them with the binormal and tangent parts of the fine detail map. I'm not really sure how to do it.

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 AliasBinman   Members   -  Reputation: 432

10Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/blending-in-detail/

#3 radioteeth   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1138

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

In the days of Doom3's development, using Maya, they would model all the detail they needed into the hi-poly model, then created a plugin that would spit out a low-poly model, and a normal map to 'recapture' the detail that was lost in the polycount reduction when rendered on the low-poly model.

That was ten years ago.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS