Part time jobs?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 10 years, 11 months ago

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a part time job in the industry. The reason I ask is because the people I live with are unexpectedly moving in a few months (I pay nearly nothing in rent and that's not an exaggeration). I am currently in school full time and have a part time job (that I sort of love). I absolutely do not make enough to afford a place to live, and my current job can't offer me more. I've been with my company for 6 years and they have been really good to me, I am the only person in my department. Still I've been going to school so I can change industries (from theater to games) and that is my eventual goal, but I really don't have any one specific skill to show off.

Basically I'm looking at getting a second part time job once school is out so I can possibly start making enough money to get a place of my own before I'm uprooted. I would not want to leave my current job without giving them time to find someone that I could train to replace me. Are there any part time jobs available in this industry? I would consider getting a retail job or something but I have zero experience and at this point I'm pretty old, plus I would be making less per hour which is a little hard. I want to at least get started in games during this time when I am forced to find extra employment.

Any suggestions? I know this is the absolutely lamest and loseriest story ever told, but it's just how things are. I decided to go back to school (almost right after graduating too) to get enough technical knowledge to change careers, and had to move back in with "my parents" basically. I had a job that offered great pay and super flexible hours and I've never had a problem with it, in fact I love the company and the people I work with, except that I don't love what I actually do (kind of the opposite really :/ ).

Any suggestions for what I could do would be awesome, creative suggestions on how to make money freelance even. Like I said, I really don't have any particular skill. I can do a little bit of almost everything but that's about it. You can check out my completely unfinished "portfolio" that I just started building if you want proof.

I guess I could just quit my job and burn my bridges there, but it would really break my heart to have to do it so soon.

EDIT: I thought I should add that I live in San Francisco.

Advertisement

1. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a part time job in the industry. ... Are there any part time jobs available in this industry?
2. The reason I ask is because ... I've been going to school so I can change industries (from theater to games) and that is my eventual goal, but I really don't have any one specific skill to show off.
3. I would not want to leave my current job without giving them time to find someone that I could train to replace me.
4. Any suggestions?
5. creative suggestions on how to make money freelance even.
6. I guess I could just quit my job and burn my bridges there, but it would really break my heart to have to do it so soon.
7. I thought I should add that I live in San Francisco.

1. Yes. They do exist. But they're less common than full time jobs, so they're harder to find and get than full time jobs.
2. We don't need to know all that to answer your question. You tend to ramble a lot. And that's not a useful skill.
3. Two weeks notice is standard. Three, if you're feeling generous (and can arrange for your new job to be ready to accept you in three weeks).
4. Seeking a part time job requires exactly the same process as seeking a full time job. It will be harder, though.
5. Not without "one specific skill to show off." There are no freelance jobs for unskilled folk. QA might be your best bet. Read the FAQ.
6. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's not helping you. Read http://www.igda.org/games-game-june-2004
7. Good for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Actually whilst part games development work is very rare there are dozens of small freelance gigs available. Maybe you could try a few of the freelance sites. There are hundreds of people looking for developers to port flash or mobile games. They don't usually pay much money but then if you compare it to a part time retail job then its probably similar.

Haha Tom! I'm not feeling sorry for myself but it does come off that way since I was trying to explain my situation. I really wasn't expecting sympathy, how could I, it's not like it's a big deal. I just wanted people to know why I was asking about something so random. I know that I can do something about it I was just wondering where I should look; also I DO love to ramble, it's something I know about myself :)

I guess I will try to figure out something freelance then if I focus on a particular area. I was mostly asking if there are part time QA jobs. I haven't found any.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Without knowing any of the details beyond what you wrote, I will agree that your priority should be to finish the degree.

Housing is one of those necessary evils of life. You need somewhere to stay but you don't have much money. You might consider leveraging your social networks to see if you can find housing while you are in-between. Talk to people you know and ask them to talk to people they know. If you ask enough probably they know somebody who knows somebody who can help with housing over the summer. It takes a lot of work and trust in your social network to do that, but chances are if you are serious you can probably find somebody who can put you up for a few months. Most people are sympathetic to college students and understand it is one of the more difficult times in a person's life. If they know they are helping a college student out and you make a clear effort to be bettering yourself and pitch in with your hosting family, you may be able to find inexpensive (or even free) housing. You may be expected to watch the kids on evenings and do the dishes, but if you really push your social network hard you can probably find room and board over the summer.

You say you have talked with your employer. Have you really sat down and had a heart-to-heart with them? Tell them in plain terms that you need more money, especially WHY you need more money, that you are willing to work full time to get it, and that if they cannot employ you full time you will sadly need to look for work elsewhere because of those needs. It isn't quite giving a two-weeks notice, but it is nice for them to know that change is about to happen and that they can prevent it if they choose.

I've looked over your portfolio, and you are right. You don't have a specialty. It is unlikely you will be hired for any specific job with that portfolio. Nothing on it is BAD, but nothing stands out at all. If you focus on something and develop your talents and skills in that one area then you have a chance. Since you want to break in to games that area should be one of the big three: programming or modeling or animation.

QA jobs are not really advertised You need to be in touch with the right people at the right time. A studio may be hiring 20 people for short-term full-time employment where overtime is likely. The positions fill up almost overnight, so you need to be in touch with the right people. They also happen only once or twice per year, so you need to be lucky with timing. You must also be local or they'll discard your job application.

Stick with getting your schooling. Master a subject. It is the most reliable way to break down the barriers that Human Resources will put up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement