• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

How many polygons (vertices) per character in game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 anders211   Members   -  Reputation: 202

0Likes

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi,
I created in Blender character (person/man). However I made some mistake during creation because I had used shading mode: flat. And when I had finished my work I changed shading to smooth. So as You can imagine maybe I used too much polygons and character with less polygons would be also acceptable for me. However now it would be a tricky for me to reduce the number of polygons/vertex. I haven't tested it yet with my code engine, but I wonder if number of polygons: 41592*2 and number of vertex: 41781 is acceptable for good/smooth animation. You know I have now only character but when I add other meshes to the scene, maybe number of polygons 41592*2 and vertices: 41781 is too much? DO You know what is the average polygon number in nowadays games for character???? I read somewhere in google that 8000-12000 polygons. So my character exceed this limit several times, so I have to undoubtedly reduce my mesh. Am I right? Or maybe my numbers for polygon and vertex is OK?

Sponsor:

#2 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2332

0Likes

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

a low poly model for realtime animation would probably be under 1000 triangles.

perhaps one of the modeler folks out there can give you some better numbers.

my personal guess is you'll need to simplify that mesh sooner or later.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

#3 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11781

0Likes

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

For a big-budget AAA game characters will range around 10k to 30k triangles. You're pushing close to 100k, which is crazy high unless you're targeting high-end hardware.

#4 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

DO You know what is the average polygon number in nowadays games for character???? I read somewhere in google that 8000-12000 polygons. So my character exceed this limit several times, so I have to undoubtedly reduce my mesh. Am I right? Or maybe my numbers for polygon and vertex is OK?

It all depends on the scene complexity.

1. What is the style of the game

2. How many characters will be on screen ?

3. Indoor / Outdoor ?

4. Target HW (nvidia Riva TNT 4 MB from 1997 or GF680 3 GB) ?

If it is a main character, that takes up a big portion of the screen due to 3rd person camera, there is no terrain (just some cheap indoor), and there will be only a handful of enemies around, I wouldn't really worry about character being 100,000 tris.

Unless, of course, you plan to run it on a cell phone from 2003,,,

VladR    My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight:    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

#5 anders211   Members   -  Reputation: 202

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hi
I would like to be my target HW since Geforce 7300, 8500, something like that and processor since about 2200MHz 1-core. I plan to about 10 such characters in game on the screen.

Edited by anders211, 17 May 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#6 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

Any particular reason for the drastic disparity between CPU & GPU ? You'd be much better of with half-speed CPU - e.g. 1 GHz and way older (but a proper - uncastrated- card) - e.g. 6800 (with 6800 I actually had some experience and she could handle easily 1 Mil tris in scene)

The GPU you mention are the slowest ones of each respective family of GPUs (series 7, series 8)- e.g. they're 64/128bit, majority of shader units are disabled, VRAM is also very small. Now, they'll still handle the higher polycount better, than some heavy postprocessing, but I doubt they can handle that many tris.

I don't think you can render 10x100k = ~ 1 Mil tris scene on these GPUs. If you said 7600 or 8800, that would change things a lot.

These cards are always the cheapest ones (e.g. $20) - why don't you grab one and see for yourself ?

VladR    My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight:    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS