• Create Account

Visual Studio 2010 C++ | Folder structures

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Techieman   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi,

I've set up an repository on BitBucket using GIT.

My problem is VSC++ 2010. It's making it's own folder structure I dislike totally.

I have my own intentions how it should be like.

Is there a way to change it? To have an own structure?

Thank you Techie

P.S.: I'm using Express Edition and NO I can't switch to VSC++ 12, I've Win Vista, though.

Sponsor:

#2 Dave Hunt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2338

0Likes

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Assuming you're talking about source folder structure, you can pretty much do anything you want. Create a project, delete whatever folders you don't like, and add your own. When you've got it how you like it, export the project as a template. Then you can use that structure in any new projects you create by selecting that template.

#3 Tapped   Members   -  Reputation: 384

1Likes

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I will show you how i do it.

• First create a project, where "Create directory for solution" is ticked. 
  • Then remove the project from the solution, by right clicking in the Solution Explorer on the project.(It will not delete the project, only lose reference to it)
  • Now create a new directory for the project file, and call it what you want.
  • Copy the project files from the directory storing the project into your new folder.
  • Back in Visual Studio, add the existing project to the solution file, by File->Add->Existing Project.
  • Now you probably want to define the binary output folder.
  • This is done in the project properties. General tab->Output Directory. Remember to set both Debug and Release.
  • Also, set the path for your source folder, when you create new source files. This is done with the Location property in the add file window.
  • Git got a handy setting file called .gitignore. Use this file to ignore binaries, objects, and other temporary data generated by visual studio.
  • I often use the following ignore file, with some customization for Visual Studio: https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/VisualStudio.gitignore

That's it, customize as much as you want :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS