• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

I've finished learninig all the c++ basics and i think i want to go to the next level..

so i decided to start learning OpenGL so i got the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming"

And i couldn't understent anything from it(i cant foucse its to hard for me sad.png )

So i am thinknig maybe any one of you mye give me a great VIDEO series or thech me himself (via Skype).

So.. Can anyone help me?

Sponsor:

#2 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

4Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

You can try these tutorials:
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

http://www.glprogramming.com/

You can also check some of these books:

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/books/

Btw, can you elaborate what exactly do you have a problem with?

Edited by lightxbulb, 18 May 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

You can try these tutorials:

http://www.glprogramming.com/

You can also check some of these books:

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/books/

Btw, can you elaborate what exactly do you have a problem with?

I can not concentrate in the book i nead to hear that.
only sse its no good for me that why I asked for videos or Skype 101

and btw  i dont want any glut or glew or anything else i want to know pure opengl

#4 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

1Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

nehe have some nice tutorials, and they are very well documented.

Edited by Vortez, 18 May 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#5 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well if you "can't concentrate" in the book you read then you better use glut or glew. I know one thing for myself - a book in most cases is a lot better than any online tutorials or videos. And if I don't understand something in the book then I know that there's something important that I am missing. It can be anything - from programming skills to math and 3d concepts. I'm not sure anybody is willing to play tutor on skype - there are schools, colleges and courses for this.

One more time I didn't get what you mean - because statements like this:

And i couldn't understent anything from it(i cant foucse its to hard for me sad.png )

I can not concentrate in the book i nead to hear that.

are really vague - it's really hard for people to guess what you have a problem with. Can you define better what you find hard - 3d concepts, maths for 3d, GPU usage, device and context concepts etc.?

I don't mean to discourage you, but the problem you have isn't really defined - I can find anything hard - but others can't help me even if they are willing if I can't even define what I find "hard".

Edited by lightxbulb, 18 May 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#6 mawigator   Members   -  Reputation: 393

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

and btw  i dont want any glut or glew or anything else i want to know pure opengl

OpenGL itself must be opened and connected to some system window/screen using some external library (mostly system dependent).

So, you will need glut, or glew, or sdl, or sfml or any other library just to open the window with OpenGL view. 

For start, just download some running example and play with it.

#7 kidman171   Members   -  Reputation: 498

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

If you don't want to use any libraries like glut or glew, check out rastertek's opengl series (www.rastertek.com). Once you create a window from scratch and you load the opengl function pointers from scratch, you will most likely realize how much time you have wasted and you will go grab yourself a copy of glew :)

#8 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2691

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I would recommend this guy YT channel He got lot of tutorials recorded and i think it is easy to follow (at least for me).

Edited by belfegor, 19 May 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#9 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Well if you "can't concentrate" in the book you read then you better use glut or glew. I know one thing for myself - a book in most cases is a lot better than any online tutorials or videos. And if I don't understand something in the book then I know that there's something important that I am missing. It can be anything - from programming skills to math and 3d concepts. I'm not sure anybody is willing to play tutor on skype - there are schools, colleges and courses for this.

One more time I didn't get what you mean - because statements like this:

And i couldn't understent anything from it(i cant foucse its to hard for me sad.png )

>

I can not concentrate in the book i nead to hear that.

are really vague - it's really hard for people to guess what you have a problem with. Can you define better what you find hard - 3d concepts, maths for 3d, GPU usage, device and context concepts etc.?

I don't mean to discourage you, but the problem you have isn't really defined - I can find anything hard - but others can't help me even if they are willing if I can't even define what I find "hard".

I have this problme that when i am reading a book after 5 minutes of reading i notice that i didnt understad nothing and its not only in programming book its on every book I read its just too hart for me to understand from a book

#10 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have this problme that when i am reading a book after 5 minutes of reading i notice that i didnt understad nothing and its not only in programming book its on every book I read its just too hart for me to understand from a book

You need to break the problem down and work from it bit by bit, people don't master things over night, you will likely find more books on key topics / subjects than vids too and it is much easier taking notes with books (e-books at least) then vids.

Also you need to explain what you don't understand and which book you are reading

#11 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Can you give a more concrete example? Like exactly what did you read these 5 minutes and what you didn't understand?

#12 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

Can you give a more concrete example? Like exactly what did you read these 5 minutes and what you didn't understand?

Its not on one book only i almost EVERY book iread no mather waht the subject is programming,desaign,math,physucs ot just a book tjat i took from school

Edited by Tr3Calls, 20 May 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#13 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Its not on one book only i almost EVERY book iread no mather waht the subject is programming,desaign,math,physucs ot just a book tjat i took from school

Well then you have some serious problems tongue.png (that's a joke no offence intended).

I still think there's no better thing than books or a tutor when learning but whatever.

I asked what you find hard exactly - like what exactly did you have a problem with in the chapter you read?

Edited by lightxbulb, 20 May 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#14 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4581

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

I spent months reading up Arcsynthesis online book every now and then before I even tried to knock my own jury-rigged OpenGL stuff. Reading is something you won't be able to evade, and you're pretty much expected to bang your head against specs/references/tutorials/implementations/papers repeatedly until you understand them.

Edited by TheChubu, 20 May 2013 - 03:14 AM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#15 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Well then you have some serious problems tongue.png (that's a joke no offence intended).

I still think there's no better thing than books or a tutor when learning but whatever.

I asked what you find hard exactly - like what exactly did you have a problem with in the chapter you read?

I on the first chapter of "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming"....

#16 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

1Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Once again - I asked what you find hard in the chapter you're on - not what chapter you're on.

Cause I don't think you won't be able to understand:

"Why make games?" or "OpenGL History"

I mean if you want some help you should say where you got a problem - something concrete - like saying "I don't understand the graphics pipeline" or "I don't understand Matrix multiplication" etc.

This might be a pretty wild guess - but maybe you're not ready for OpenGL if you can't even understand the first chapter. Maybe you need to start with something easier - like a ready engine or something like that. For example you say that you finished learning the basics of C++ but I don't think basics will be enough for working with OpenGL...

Edited by lightxbulb, 20 May 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#17 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

2Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Once again - I asked what you find hard in the chapter you're on - not what chapter you're on.

Cause I don't think you won't be able to understand:

"Why make games?" or "OpenGL History"

I mean if you want some help you should say where you got a problem - something concrete - like saying "I don't understand the graphics pipeline" or "I don't understand Matrix multiplication" etc.

This might be a pretty wild guess - but maybe you're not ready for OpenGL if you can't even understand the first chapter. Maybe you need to start with something easier - like a ready engine or something like that. For example you say that you finished learning the basics of C++ but I don't think basics will be enough for working with OpenGL...

My problme is not on any subject.

my problme is this first of all i have a problme with the english ... Its not my main lang.

second when I read something ,almost on 90% of the cases i forget it i just how i was born. I nead the combo of seeing and hearing to understand something no mather what it is becase if for example i go online for a written tut so i find myself copy every thing line by line..

But if i watch a tut in youtube i can understand what the meaning of this code.

I hope you understood and you an help me =)

#18 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Well I can't help you with the English "issue". I'm really a books person and I can think better if I read something - because I can re-read it and have time to analyze it deeper, rather than having to follow somebody's pace. I just can't imagine myself not using a book when it comes to programming. Well, I guess maybe if videos work for you it's good. The problem though is that there are not nearly as many videos on various programming subjects as there are  articles/books etc. And in the end when you're coding it's code that you'll have to go through - so "reading" and understanding what's in there is important - you cannot bypass reading tons of code and analyzing it... I am sure the community can help you if it comes to a concrete problem - like explaining the graphics pipeline better for example - but you must make sure that the problem you're having is well defined.

Another thing you might consider is using an engine - like Unity3D for example - I believe it may suit you better - because I can hardly imagine somebody leaning to code with OpenGL or DirectX just from videos - I mean the topics are quite extensive and I don't believe they can be presented really well in just a few videos, or a few pages with images - you need hundred and hundred pages of text when it comes to this - imagine how many hours of video you'd need. That's just my opinion - it's not meant to discourage you rather to help you, so good luck!smile.png

#19 Tr3Calls   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Well I can't help you with the English "issue". I'm really a books person and I can think better if I read something - because I can re-read it and have time to analyze it deeper, rather than having to follow somebody's pace. I just can't imagine myself not using a book when it comes to programming. Well, I guess maybe if videos work for you it's good. The problem though is that there are not nearly as many videos on various programming subjects as there are  articles/books etc. And in the end when you're coding it's code that you'll have to go through - so "reading" and understanding what's in there is important - you cannot bypass reading tons of code and analyzing it... I am sure the community can help you if it comes to a concrete problem - like explaining the graphics pipeline better for example - but you must make sure that the problem you're having is well defined.

Another thing you might consider is using an engine - like Unity3D for example - I believe it may suit you better - because I can hardly imagine somebody leaning to code with OpenGL or DirectX just from videos - I mean the topics are quite extensive and I don't believe they can be presented really well in just a few videos, or a few pages with images - you need hundred and hundred pages of text when it comes to this - imagine how many hours of video you'd need. That's just my opinion - it's not meant to discourage you rather to help you, so good luck!smile.png

i dont know c# for Unity3D and i dont want to know.

i know c++ and mybe the begining of java(but i dont wwana program with this)

if you have a engine or somthug easier for c++ i would be happy

#20 lightxbulb   Members   -  Reputation: 899

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well you can check SFML, Ogre3D, Irrlitch and SDL; you can check torque too.

You can also check these tutorials:

http://www.rastertek.com/tutgl40.html

and see if you understand them.

Edited by lightxbulb, 20 May 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS