2D games and 3D games in one android game

Started by
1 comment, last by L. Spiro 10 years, 11 months ago

hi, im new in android developing me and my group mates propose a game for our thesis the game is like the game show minute to win it instead of household challenges we make it different kinds of puzzles, some of the puzzles are 3D and some of them are 2D my question is how can we combine the 2D puzzles and 3D puzzles in one android game

thanks!!

Advertisement
What part about it are you having troubles with? 3D games draw 2D stuff (like menus and user interfaces) all the time.

Manipulating a 2D world is slightly different than manipulating a 3D world, but if you have developed the skills and code necessary for 3D then the 2D should be easy enough.

He is asking how to make some puzzles 3D and others 2D.

Unfortunately, this is an anti-question—how are we supposed to answer? “Just make some 3D and some 2D.”

If you have to ask this it means you don’t have a foundation at all in any form of graphics, 2D or 3D.

Just because most games are entirely 2D or entirely 3D (even then menus will often be 2D) does not mean there is some kind of special game property that restricts it to 2D or to 3D.

If you want something in your game to be 2D—a menu, a HUD, a whole puzzle—do what is necessary for it to be 2D: Use an orthographic projection matrix and a bunch of sprites.

If you want something in your game to be 3D, do what is necessary for it to be 3D: Use a perspective projection matrix and 3D models.

In other words, the answer literally is, “Just do it.”

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement