• Create Account

Reverse Mod

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1490

2Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi guys,

I've created something that I think is a fairly new concept. I call it a "reverse" mod. Basically I took the art resources and assets from an existing game (Mythic's Dark Age of Camelot) and built a new engine around it.

If anybody is interested, you can download my reverse mod at this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974528/VON_Dist.zip

Please note - the above download does not include DAOC resources, either you will have to already have them installed on your system or you can obtain them legally through the link included in the readme file).

I hope this work is enjoyable to some group of people, I have had fun doing it and learned many things. Many thanks to Dawn of Light group, to MJP and to Matias Goldberg and his father for the royalty-free music.

The reverse mod download is 12MB and the original DAOC resources are about 4GB. You can control the game through traditional mouse/keyboard scheme or connect an XBOX controller and play it like an action RPG.

Some of the things I've done with the reverse mod are:

1. There is no networking or multi-player

2. Character animations are masked on top of each other so that running while attacking is possible.

3. Slight improvements to some graphical areas

4. Combat is more action-oriented.

The reverse mod is a work and progress and by no means complete, however it is a fun diversion and includes a complete DAOC resource viewer, so people who get a kick out of examining game art might enjoy it.

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3387

1Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

i woudn't call it a reverse mod, it's really just a clone.  think about all the mario/pac-man/tetris/etc games that use the original sprites and music in there clones, isn't that the same thing?

edit: also,.  I don't own the original game, and 4GB is wayy too much to dl on my bandwidth cap so i can't comment on your work. but it sounds like a great effort, and it seems like your doing your best to avoid distributing copyrighted work, so good job.

Edited by slicer4ever, 19 May 2013 - 02:34 AM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 Steve_Segreto   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1490

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

Thanks slicer4ever!

I think your "clone" terminology is maybe a better name than "reverse" mod, I hadn't thought about it like that before.

You are correct, I'm trying my best to avoid distributing anything copyrighted because I feel all of us earn our money behind the strength of copyrights in some form or another.

I can understand people not wanting to grab 4GB over the internets :) This clone will appeal to only a certain group of people (mostly those who already have the game installed). If I get some more free time I might make a more recent YouTube video to show some of the gameplay.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS