• Create Account

Is OpenGL Programming Guide 8th Edition Version 4.3 a good book to learn from?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#21 Krankles   Members   -  Reputation: 281

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

OpenGL Programming Guide uses GLUT (which you'd never use in a real game).  Other than that, it's a decent book to learn from.  It's arranged more logically than the Superbible, and I haven't found any better beginner books on OpenGL.  Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is also extremely easy to learn from and doesn't use external libraries for initialization.

Yeah I've started a little bit on OpenGL and used GLFW to create the window, context and listen for events. Also, what edition would you recommend me for Beginning OpenGL Game Programming?

Sponsor:

#22 RobTheBloke   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2342

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

I see. I'm curious, how did you learn modern opengl? How did you approach the arcsynthesis tutorials (if you did learn it from arcsynthesis)? Did you read it and then tested the source code? Or did you read and try to make your own demo?

By referring to the OpenGL reference pages on opengl.org, and cross referencing those pages with the interfaces found in Direct3D.

#23 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7979

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Actually, AMD have recently added support for 4.3 http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-4WINReleaseNotes.aspx

They still don't have a full implementation; what 13.4 has done is add some new GL4.3 features but they're still only ~50% of the way there (counting extensions they have implemented but which tested with driver bugs); see http://www.g-truc.net/post-0566.html#menu

Still missing in AMD as of 13.4 are:

GL_KHR_debug
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments
    GL_ARB_copy_image
    GL_ARB_texture_view
    GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS