• Create Account

what books or tutorials are available

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 NEWB123   Members   -  Reputation: 99

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

What Framework , API is best for creating an online 2D desktop game ( multiplayer ) ?

I started studying XNA but I am discouraged because the book tells me that XNA studio has to be installed

on any computer PC using the built app . I can't really expect that from the users .

I have some programming experience ( mostly web and database ) but i am new to games and online games .

Trying to find tutorials , books etc. best to learn from to build what I want .

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5303

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Use a game engine with 2D support and built-in networking. Unity probably comes the closest. 

There are also versions of cocos2d that might work out. Especially if you want "in a browser" although there are also C++ versions of the library.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 NEWB123   Members   -  Reputation: 99

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Yeah thanks, I was looking at Unity ... So how does a framework like Unity compare performance-wise to

a lower level language like C++ with SDL ? Is there is significant speed/lag difference that users would notice ?

Also would unity be suitable for building a game lobby where users can pick a game to sit on ?

Edited by NEWB123, 21 May 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#4 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1664

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

There would be no noticable difference in performance unless you are making the next GTA or Drakes Uncharted.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS