• Create Account

What console are you buying in 2013?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
95 replies to this topic

Poll: What console are you buying in 2013? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

What console are you buying in 2013?

1. Wii U (11 votes [6.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.11%

2. Xbox One (20 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. PS4 (44 votes [24.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

4. Ouya (13 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. Other (3 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

6. Tablet (IPad, Android, Kindle, Surface, etc) (17 votes [9.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.44%

7. Nothing at all (69 votes [38.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

8. Oculus Rift (3 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Just wondering what consoles people are going to buy and why. For me, it might be the Wii U. I have a love for old-school games and I have a feeling the console is going to get a price drop when PS4 and The One release. I'm not totally sold on the all-in-one experience that MS and Sony provide. And also, I'm not a fan of Internet-always on consoles or being charged for used games.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7213

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

SteamBox! :P

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21434

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Remember this is not an either-or decision. Many people own more than one.

Right now none of them have me excited. When the games start coming out something might catch my interest, then I'll make a decision based on the platform's content.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#4 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4403

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Nothing at all. Last console I had was a Playstation 1. I'll keep my current desktop as it is. i5 2500K, GTX 560 Ti 1Gb (this one is going to suffer :P) plus 16Gb of DDR3.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#5 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3894

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

It's likely Xbox is going to be me and my friends next-gen console as it was this gen.  I just don't see the PS4 offering anything substancially superiour to the xbox.

Edited by slicer4ever, 21 May 2013 - 07:41 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#6 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Remember this is not an either-or decision. Many people own more than one.

The votes are multiple choice. You can vote for more than one :)

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#7 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1618

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I just don't see the PS4 offering anything substancially superiour to the xbox.

Perhaps the price. The new XBOX One looks like it might be really pricey with the kind of specs they are boasting. (8gb of RAM, 8 core CPU) 

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#8 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6995

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

For me, it might be the Wii U.

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)), saying it seemed like a regular Wii with a poor touch screen added.

I voted Ouya and Xbox One. My work already bought me an Ouya, and at work we have a couple. They are *awesome* when it comes to playing old school games on an emulator (kinda sucks you can't get ROMs legally), but then again I might have been just as happy with the Wii U (but then again, Wii U can't do SEGA gamesedit: perhaps I was mistaken).

might get an Xbox One. And by I, I mean my parents/family. I hate the idea that some games might require an always on connection (but then again, I hardly game anymore). I'm not sure how the all-in-one experience is, but it might be nice for my parents. I guess we'll see.

Edited by Cornstalks, 21 May 2013 - 08:22 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#9 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Perhaps the price. The new XBOX One looks like it might be really pricey with the kind of specs they are boasting. (8gb of RAM, 8 core CPU) 

Doesn't the PS4 have the same specs?

Spoiler

#10 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)).

Actually I have that's why I'm considering it.

I voted Ouya and Xbox One. My work already bought me an Ouya, and at work we have a couple. They are *awesome* when it comes to playing old school games on an emulator (kinda sucks you can't get ROMs legally), but then again I might have been just as happy with the Wii U (but then again, Wii U can't do SEGA games).

Wii U can't do SEGA games? Since when? I heard that Sonic was coming to the Wii U. But really, when couldn't SEGA do the Wii U?

Spoiler

#11 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6995

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Doesn't the PS4 have the same specs?

Yup, and supposedly the PS4 has a little more terraflops in it's CPU too, so I don't imagine the XBox would be more expensive than the PS4 (though the Kinnect unit might at a little to the price).

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#12 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6995

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)).

Actually I have that's why I'm considering it.

Cool. I haven't, so I can't personally say what it's like. I'd like to try one though.

Wii U can't do SEGA games? Since when? I heard that Sonic was coming to the Wii U. But really, when couldn't SEGA do the Wii U?

It's possible I'm wrong. Can it do old SEGA Genesis games, like Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 (with the Knuckles expansion)?

#13 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

SMB Wii U is a damn good game. Zombi U is pretty good too.

Ohhhhhhh. You know... I don't think that's true. Only because I know I've seen Golden Axe and Phantasy Star on the Wii. So Sonic should be available as well.

Spoiler

#14 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6995

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Ohhhhhhh. You know... I don't think that's true. Only because I know I've seen Golden Axe and Phantasy Star on the Wii. So Sonic should be available as well.

After a little googling, it looks like I'm totally wrong (and they've got many of the classics, like Alex the Kid, Altered Beast, Echo, Columns, Sonic (1, 2, 3, and the Knuckles expansion!), Earthworm Jim, etc.). I guess I'm going to have to look into possibly getting one of these...

#15 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3894

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Potentially, but I can't imagine the next xbox is going to be more expensive than the ps4, at worse they will be the same price imo.  however it's not like it can't happen, just i don't see microsoft putting themselves in the position of being the most expensive console on the market.

Zombi U is pretty good too.

this is the only reason I want a wii U, and i've heard of another super smash bros might be on the way(although maybe it's only a 3DS title iirc).  I might pick one up if i've got the spare cash, as the game's concept is really appealing to me, but it probably won't happen for a good bit.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#16 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

I am probably not going to get anything till the middle of next year. Unless the NFL is available internationally on Xbox. Then I will literally buy it just for that.

I might get a convertible tablet, but that wouldn't be for playing games.

#17 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1672

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Was disapointed by the XBOX anouncement.  The fee to use second hand games is certainly a turn off.  Wii U so far has failed to impress. 

I did originaly rubbish the Ouya but now it seems to be growing on me.  It may not be as powerful but they are going to release a new one every year so by the time this console generation is half way in the Ouya will probably be more powerful than the PS4 or the Xbox.  Also any extra gimic attachments such as tablet controlers, balance board or the kinect will end up having custom drivers / adapters made for them to work on the Ouya.

I will definetly be buying several tablets phones this year.

Truth be told I will probably buy every item on the list which is what I did with the last console generation.

Also non of the big three (Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony) have anounced a single thing that has made me think "wow" or "thats inovative|".   It just seems like theyve taken a bunch of componants off the shelf put them in a box, given it a shake and said "right thats the new generation of console".

#18 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3799

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

No console for me.  PC all the way!

#19 Hanbo   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

Seriously, by now everyone should know, that if you want to play a bunch of FPS and have TV in your box go with Microsoft. If you want a more diverse library of exclusives go with Sony.

Also non of the big three (Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony) have anounced a single thing that has made me think "wow" or "thats inovative|".   It just seems like theyve taken a bunch of componants off the shelf put them in a box, given it a shake and said "right thats the new generation of console".

Nothing innovative? Sony bought Gaikai for the pure reason to provide a cloud-based service, that will give anything at an instant. Features like remote-control of your friends game to join him on his session. Backwards compatibility and instant availability of games you bought without downloading them through the same service.

As Microsoft already pointed out in their press conference: if you like TV and fantasy football we have something for you. To each his own, I will definitely buy a PS4.

#20 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1672

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Gaikai and OnLive has been around for several years.  The fact that Sony include it in a console is not inovative No.  Backwards compatibility everybody did that last gen.  instant availability of games you bought a service that Netflix, LoveFilm, iTunes and Blinkbox already do with movies just applied to games.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS