• Create Account

What console are you buying in 2013?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
95 replies to this topic

Poll: What console are you buying in 2013? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

What console are you buying in 2013?

1. Wii U (11 votes [6.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.11%

2. Xbox One (20 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. PS4 (44 votes [24.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

4. Ouya (13 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. Other (3 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

6. Tablet (IPad, Android, Kindle, Surface, etc) (17 votes [9.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.44%

7. Nothing at all (69 votes [38.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

8. Oculus Rift (3 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 skytiger   Members   -  Reputation: 258

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

And it worked out for them because they have a ton of launch content

Tomorrow is launch day and the best Ouya game available now is The Amazing Frog ... where is this "ton of launch content" ???

Sponsor:

#62 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't even own a TV, never really saw the purpose in one, you should see the look on peoples face when they come over to mine for the first its so priceless, no TV, microwave or even sugar :o Then again I don't even play any games anymore, and no I am not a hard bitch to please im just not into mediocre gameplay + pretty graphics. Sometimes I feel game companies spend more time making things pretty than actually focusing on the content

#63 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1851

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I may eventually get a Wii U for Pikmin 3 because I have been waiting for it for a long time. I doubt that I will get a PS4, at least for a long time -- maybe if Fumito Ueda's Last Guardian ever surfaces but that seems increasingly unlikely at this point. I've never owned an XBox of any kind because there was never a game I really wanted that was XBox exclusive. I'm kind of burned out on console games, I guess, and may just skip this generation: everything seems like more of the same to me and I find myself not playing the consoles I already have so it just starts feeling really wasteful or something.

Edited by jwezorek, 01 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#64 Cromulent   Members   -  Reputation: 378

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I've got a PS4 on pre-order currently. I'm a big fan of the Xbox 360 so originally I pre-ordered the Xbox One but when I heard about the always on Kinect I decided against it.

This'll be a big change for me as I've had an Xbox since the very first one was released in 2002 (in Europe). Hopefully I haven't made a bad decision.

#65 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

In spite of the fact that it requires an internet connection, I plan on getting the Xbox One. The media capabilities are interesting and I like the specs.

I also need a Wii U. I'm not too happy with Nintendo's seeming fight against adopting newer technology, but until they give up their hardware development and become fully software-based, I'll have to buy their crappy hardware to get my Mario fix. sad.png

#66 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3883

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

In spite of the fact that it requires an internet connection, I plan on getting the Xbox One. The media capabilities are interesting and I like the specs.

haven't been keeping up with the latest have you?  required internet connection is gone.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#67 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

haven't been keeping up with the latest have you?  required internet connection is gone.

No, I haven't... sleep.png

BUT, YAY!!laugh.png

#68 JJDQ   Members   -  Reputation: 101

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

IMO: It is way too soon to judge either of these next-gen consoles XBOX/PS4 (Now the companies? That may be another story). I selected None for the poll but I am just waiting to see what each offer. If the past/current gen is any evidence to the marketing plan for the new consoles, I don't want anything at launch.

We saw redesigns for all consoles (XBOX/PS3/WII) and large price drops across a fairly short amount of time considering the life span of the generation. I can't justify spending the money on these consoles anymore at launch. I'm sure if I hold out long enough, we'll be able to pick up the second iteration of these consoles with a solid bundle, larger hard drive and lower price.

#69 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

We saw redesigns for all consoles (XBOX/PS3/WII) and large price drops across a fairly short amount of time considering the life span of the generation. I can't justify spending the money on these consoles anymore at launch. I'm sure if I hold out long enough, we'll be able to pick up the second iteration of these consoles with a solid bundle, larger hard drive and lower price.

Also, I feel like MS is releasing at a higher price point because they know they'll probably be sold out for 6 months anyway. Then they can just announce a price drop at E3 if they need to when supply and demand are a little closer and get all the public image benefit of a price drop even though they'd just be dropping price to match more than likely.

Watch Dogs is gonna be so hard to miss out on at launch though :'(

#70 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 2659

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

While it isn't a console, my oculus rift showed up this week and I am stoked to build something for it. I see a lot of potential for the oculus.

#71 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

While it isn't a console, my oculus rift showed up this week and I am stoked to build something for it. I see a lot of potential for the oculus.

Oh you lucky dog!

The Oculus Rift is the next REAL innovation in game dev, not motion-based controls. Although to get the two working together would be damn awesome.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#72 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30341

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Oh you lucky dog!

The Oculus Rift is the next REAL innovation in game dev, not motion-based controls. Although to get the two working together would be damn awesome.

I've got mine too, and have added support to my engine/game already ;) Hopefully full VR support is a good selling point; I certainly enjoy it.

For me though, the biggest issue is that if I use it for more than about 20 minutes, I start to develop motion-sickness symptoms. The worst case it's given me so far, I was nauseous for about 14 hours, after playing TF2 for an hour... I'm working on acclimatizing myself to it, but I can see this limiting it's mass market appeal. Also, I don't get motion sickness from games, cars or planes usually (only once when travelling at high speed on rough seas in a cabin with a dozen other vomiting passengers) so I wasn't expecting my brain to have this reaction to the rift.

While I'm here with a chance to rag on the Ouya -- They shipped it to the wrong address with only one controller rather than two. They then took over a month to respond to my support ticket, and the eventual reply was a big copy&pasted FAQ that told me that the extra controller would be shipped "later" (hopefully not with a 2-3 month shipping time again!), and that to fix their addressing mistake, I should purchase a mail redirection service from my post office (at my expense).

Checking their tracking number right now, I can see this package is still in China, even though they "shipped" it over a month and a half ago.

No impressed at all, Ouya.

Edited by Hodgman, 15 July 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#73 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

While I'm here with a chance to rag on the Ouya -- They shipped it to the wrong address with only one controller rather than two. They then took over a month to respond to my support ticket, and the eventual reply was a big copy&pasted FAQ that told me that the extra controller would be shipped "later" (hopefully not with a 2-3 month shipping time again!), and that to fix their addressing mistake, I should purchase a mail redirection service from my post office (at my expense).
Checking their tracking number right now, I can see this package is still in China, even though they "shipped" it over a month and a half ago.
No impressed at all, Ouya.

blink.png Wow. I hope they get their act together. I'm looking forward to this console.

#74 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Do you think its worth getting a ouya just for development purposes? Its cheaper than good android devices and it would be nice to design for controller and tv. Just to add something different to my portfolio work.

#75 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Do you think its worth getting a ouya just for development purposes? Its cheaper than good android devices and it would be nice to design for controller and tv. Just to add something different to my portfolio work.

You can do both of those things with a nexus tablet. The Nexus 7 has almost identical specs and can be plugged into a TV and should work with PS3/bluray remotes atm. I assume you could use a wired 360 remote also. It costs $100 more, but you also get a tablet out of it.

The nexus 10 I think blows them both out of the water but is more expensive.

#76 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've got mine too, and have added support to my engine/game already ;) Hopefully full VR support is a good selling point; I certainly enjoy it.

For me though, the biggest issue is that if I use it for more than about 20 minutes, I start to develop motion-sickness symptoms. The worst case it's given me so far, I was nauseous for about 14 hours, after playing TF2 for an hour... I'm working on acclimatizing myself to it, but I can see this limiting it's mass market appeal. Also, I don't get motion sickness from games, cars or planes usually (only once when travelling at high speed on rough seas in a cabin with a dozen other vomiting passengers) so I wasn't expecting my brain to have this reaction to the rift.

I wonder something about the OCR. Is the helmet "heavy"? I ask because it looks like alot of the weight is in the front and it would cause your neck to hurt a bit if you use it for extended periods of time.

The nausea factor .... I wasn't expecting that. lol.

I can't see VR ability not being a "take my money now" factor in the near future.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#77 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I wonder something about the OCR. Is the helmet "heavy"? I ask because it looks like alot of the weight is in the front and it would cause your neck to hurt a bit if you use it for extended periods of time.

The nausea factor .... I wasn't expecting that. lol.

I can't see VR ability not being a "take my money now" factor in the near future.

It's surprisingly light. Almost disturbingly so. When I picked one up the first time I had one of those feelings like when you pick up a foam brick and you almost fling it into the sky.

#78 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30341

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, the weight is nothing. My headphones weigh a lot more!
If you're immune to the motion sickness aspects, then the biggest discomfort will be eye strain from looking into a false-stereo world for too long -- like when you walk out of a cinema after watching a 3D film, and your eyes don't feel right for a little while.

#79 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

You can do both of those things with a nexus tablet. The Nexus 7 has almost identical specs and can be plugged into a TV and should work with PS3/bluray remotes atm. I assume you could use a wired 360 remote also. It costs $100 more, but you also get a tablet out of it.

The nexus 10 I think blows them both out of the water but is more expensive.

Ya my friend has a nexus 7 and we have developed for it already. But that cost him €200 I think. OUYA is €100 cheaper than that.Being a student still that 100 can mean a lot.

#80 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Ya my friend has a nexus 7 and we have developed for it already. But that cost him €200 I think. OUYA is €100 cheaper than that.Being a student still that 100 can mean a lot.

Yea, that's a crappy position to be in. Personally I'd recommend penny pinching and trying to save up for the nexus though. It's more expensive, but it's also a lot more useful. With a bluetooth keyboard and a stylus you could replace most of your school related things (notebooks, laptop, some text books, etc) on top of having a development tablet with the same specs and platform as the Ouya.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS