• Create Account

Bumpy grass on terrain

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BuraCULa   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hello.

I am trying to make my flat terrain a little bumpy and I saw Outerra's old implementation.

grass1n.jpg

It looks pretty well but I couldn't figure it out. It seem POM is used but I tried lots of combinations with POM and normal mapping and I couldn't achieve that sight.

Do you have any idea about how to achieve such a perfect bumps on grass.

Sponsor:

#2 jsuffolk   Members   -  Reputation: 316

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I always assumed Outerra used some sort of fractal algorithm with just simple normal-mapping, but after reading this piece I think they must use textures with a good parallax technique, though it seems you already knew that.

https://plus.google.com/116201034910678785066/posts/1S5YjCTCaWj

Edited by jsuffolk, 26 May 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#3 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1844

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

it does look very good :)
varying foliage is usually done by wang-tiles

Edited by Kaptein, 27 May 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#4 Waaayoff   Members   -  Reputation: 771

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Sorry, replied to wrong thread..

Edited by Waaayoff, 29 May 2013 - 07:49 AM.

"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "

#5 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1947

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I don't have the first idea about how the terrain in that video is achieved (and I haven't read that thread posted, either), but one thing I notice is that there seem to be at least two different types of LOD at work, because I notice geometry sliding in and out as well as some discrete pops.

I wonder if maybe it isn't possible that the combination of LOD geometry and some kind of "fancy" lighting (this comes to mind) is sufficient even without parallax occlusion mapping.

Edited by cowsarenotevil, 09 June 2013 - 08:51 PM.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS