• Create Account

Ray Tracing Blog & Forum

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 phantomus   Members   -  Reputation: 621

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi all,

I am not sure how many of you know about this forum:

http://ompf2.com

It started as a replacement for the great ompf forum, which focuses on ray tracing, both from an academic point of view and more hobyist oriented. Obviously you are welcome to join this forum to stay updated on the latest and greatest advances in ray tracing, both real-time and off-line.

Recently (as in: today smile.png ), we added a blog, which will provide daily (hopefully) news from ray tracing land. Url:

http://ompf2.com/blog.php

Hope to see you there,

- Jacco.

EDIT: fixed url to blog.

Edited by phantomus, 23 May 2013 - 12:06 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 NDIR   Members   -  Reputation: 171

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /blog/ on this server.

#3 phantomus   Members   -  Reputation: 621

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /blog/ on this server.

Oops, that should have been http://ompf2.com/blog.php .

Also linked to from the main page.

Edited by phantomus, 23 May 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#4 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Didn't the header use to say "temporary replacement"? I guess it was about time we faced the cold hard truth sad.png

I like the blog initiative. Want to see more smile.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#5 phantomus   Members   -  Reputation: 621

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Didn't the header use to say "temporary replacement"? I guess it was about time we faced the cold hard truth sad.png

I like the blog initiative. Want to see more smile.png

Yeah, sad story I am afraid, tbp disappeared, but he left a vivid community. Sadly we couldn't even salvage the old board. It was such a unique place, with an awesome blend of academics and hobbyists (and people slowly making the transition, like myself). The new board is similar, but tbp was a far better board operator. I wish I knew where he is now, he disappeared.

#6 Anfaenger   Members   -  Reputation: 209

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Can I somehow access the contents of the old website (ompf) ?

i used to admire things on that forum when i was at high school, but that was too advanced for me.

tbp's avatar was, i believe, an image of some chinese dictator, and he knew insane tricks

to squeeze the last few cycles/save memory and could easily point out other peoples' errors/inefficiencies in MMX/SSE code,

but i digress here.

#7 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Can I somehow access the contents of the old website (ompf) ?

There are a few scattered records available on the Wayback Machine, though most forum posts did not make it. I think that's all that's left publicly available, the Google caches have long expired. IIRC there have been efforts to try to recover as much as the site as possible, but not much at all was left... take a look for yourself:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ompf.org

For some reason the board was only archived sporadically, it seems the forum software wasn't really compatible with the archival web crawler.. case in point towards the importance of reliable personal archives, I suppose.. Maybe ask around?

Edited by Bacterius, 23 May 2013 - 03:14 PM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS