• Create Account

Grand Theft Auto 1 Movement

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 SleepySamurai   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Remember how you would move in the first GTA? Press up to move forward from the characters perspective, and left/right to turn.

Anybody know if there's a technical name for that?

Thanks!.

Edited by SleepySamurai, 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Grimshaw   Members   -  Reputation: 619

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I dont think there is a specific name for that type of controller, its just a walk and steer simple algorithm :D

Indie Game Developer - Daeva Theory Studios

Twitter - Facebook

Next

Terra - rise of mankind

Previous

SFML Game Development (Book)

#3 zacaj   Members   -  Reputation: 643

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

tank movement/control?

#4 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7116

0Likes

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

It's basically a first-person control scheme limited to two dimensions and viewed from overhead. To implement, you need a directional vector (either stored as a two-element vector, or as degrees/radians), and a velocity. Multiply those, divide by your time step each frame, and add to your old position to get the new position.

Other examples of games that use that type of control are Offroad and RC Pro-Am (both racing titles), and the early Resident Evil games (1-Nemesis, I think, as well as most contemporary Survival Horror games).

#5 ActiveUnique   Members   -  Reputation: 824

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'd call it steering, but you'll be steering a human in GTA; Asteroids is another very common example. I'd need to differentiate relative and absolute direction while programming movement controls.

I've read about the idea guy. It's a serious misnomer. You really want to avoid the lazy team.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS