• Create Account

The movie thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3479

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

seriously, how does gamedev not have a movie thread?(unless my searches have failed me) post about the last (or last few) movies you've watched.

The last 3 weeks i've gone and seen fast+furious 6, hangover 3, star trek: into darkness, and iron man 3.

I personally loved hangover 3, and the new trek.
iron man 3 was pretty good, and fast+furious 6 was defiantly decent, but i've never really been a car guy, so i'm more their for the popcorn action.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

seriously, how does gamedev not have a movie thread?

Oluseyi hasn't been around in awhile... 

Anyway, to contribute:

New movies: Iron Man 3, Star Trek, Gatsby

Older movies: Birdemic, Primer

Movies I'm going to see soon: Now You See Me, Man of Steel

My thoughts on them:

Iron Man 3: Better than the second, but not as good as the first. I think the Iron Man series never really had a good, solid villan. I would have liked to see a better villan.

Star Trek: Awesome. I really enjoyed it. I kept thinking of Smauglock Holmes, though, to be honest. I've never seen the older Star Treks, so now I want to see The Wrath of Kahn because apparently it is pretty much the same (but since they're on a different timeline from the original Spock (and crew), it's a bit different). I didn't think it was super duper awesome (I decided to sleep the second time I watched it), but it was worth seeing (but maybe not twice).

Gatsby: Never been a fan of the book. I just tagged along with friends. I feel like if I would have liked the book, I would have liked the movie.

Birdemic: WATCH THIS MOVIE! Seriously. Just... watch it. I made my local video store get it (my friend works there), and my friend has since made it her "dare" to watch it (so now in the video store, there's a sign by the movie that says: "Cracy's movie dare: watch this movie all the way through to the end. We are not responsible for any brain damage you may suffer.").

Primer: I want to like it, but I feel like it was more confusing than it needed to be. I liked the story, and I liked the ending (and watched it again (or at least half watched it again)), but I felt like they could have made it at least a little bit easier to grasp what was going on.

TV series I've watched recently:

Continuum: I enjoyed this. I'm a sci-fi guy. I'm looking forward to the next season.

Arrested Development: I'm halfway through the new season. It's good so far. I don't feel like it's knock your socks off good, but I am certainly enjoying it.

I think that's it for now... I'm always looking for a new sci-fi show to watch.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2290

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Last 2 movie I saw were Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness

Had high hopes for Star Trek and low expectations for Iron Man 3, but was wrong on both counts.

Iron Man 3 was awesome, easily the best Iron Man movie.

Into Darkness? This (spoiler filled) review sums it up. Really wasn't great IMHO.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#4 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3479

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Iron Man 3: Better than the second, but not as good as the first. I think the Iron Man series never really had a good, solid villan. I would have liked to see a better villan.

i'd have to agree, #2 had the difficulty of both giving us a villain, and the fact that tony was dying. I think if the story focused too much on him trying to figure out how to save himself, that the villain was kindof an after-thought(and was defeated quite quickly imo).

Star Trek: Awesome. I really enjoyed it. I kept thinking of Smauglock Holmes, though, to be honest. I've never seen the older Star Treks, so now I want to see The Wrath of Kahn because apparently it is pretty much the same (but since they're on a different timeline from the original Spock (and crew), it's a bit different).

i've seen most of the earlier films, but for some reason i'm never able to catch the wraith of khan, or ST: TMP when they are on tv, i've seen them, but it's been many years.

Gatsby: Never been a fan of the book. I just tagged along with friends. I feel like if I would have liked the book, I would have liked the movie.

I've had pretty much no interest in this film, like you i've never read the book, and not much in the trailer really appeals to me.

Birdemic: WATCH THIS MOVIE! Seriously. Just... watch it. I made my local video store get it (my friend works there), and my friend has since made it her "dare" to watch it (so now in the video store, there's a sign by the movie that says: "Cracy's movie dare: watch this movie all the way through to the end. We are not responsible for any brain damage you may suffer.").

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/ this movie? Not sure i want to put myself through that suffering.

Continuum: I enjoyed this. I'm a sci-fi guy. I'm looking forward to the next season.

I've seen two episodes, it was decent, and has a great premise. but i just never seem to catch it when it's on.

I'm hoping you've seen stargate?

Edited by slicer4ever, 27 May 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

I've had pretty much no interest in this film, like you i've never read the book, and not much in the trailer really appeals to me.

Well, I've actually read the book... I just hated the book. And the movie (because it's the same as the book).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316037/ this movie? Not sure i want to put myself through that suffering.

Yup, that one. At least watch a couple trailers. If you don't want to watch the full movie, this review goes through pretty much everything you could get out of watching it.

I've seen two episodes, it was decent, and has a great premise. but i just never seem to catch it when it's on.

Do you have Netflix? It's the only way I watch TV series anymore. I never catch them when they're on.

I've seen the movie (which I loved when I was younger; it's been awhile since I saw it last), and a couple TV episodes. Is it worth watching the TV series?

I've burned through Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (the newer version), Caprica, Doll House, and most recently, Continuum. If people have more recommendations for shows like these, I'm all ears.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#6 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Stargate SG-1 has some of the best character interactions I've seen in a sci-fi. It's definitely a good watch. Continuum is good as well.

The latest TV shows I've watched are:

Scandal. Yes, Scandal. The drama is like crack to me. I'm ashamed, but not ashamed.

Revenge. It's not bad actually. Much better than Deception. The story is much tighter.

Arrow. Now that is a comic-book-to-TV adaptation done right! This first season has been nothing but win.

Deception. I liked the characters but the writing was sloppy.

Continuum. Solid sci-fi show. Interesting take on the time-travel.

Mad Men. There's a reason why this show has won 4 Emmys straight for the first 4 years it was on. Seasons 5 and 6 are still top-notch.

Caprica. An oldie but a goodie. I just been watching it on Netflix. It's definitely not BSG, but it's definitely damn good.

House of Cards. This has to be the best political show on TV (even though it's on Netflix-only). Kevin Spacey kills it every time (Yes, that's a good thing).

House of Lies. Don Cheadle is an asshole. Kristen Bell has a screw loose but she's hot. And everyone is out for blood. I truly do love that show.

Game of Thrones. From what I can remember, it's pretty faithful to the book. Except for one thing in particular. Outside of that, it's pretty damn good. Can't wait to buy the 3rd season.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#7 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3719

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've burned through Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (the newer version), Caprica, Doll House, and most recently, Continuum. If people have more recommendations for shows like these, I'm all ears.

Babylon 5

#8 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Babylon 5

B5 definitely belongs in that lineup. And so does TNG and DS9.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 greenhunter   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness, OZ the Great and Powerful, Epic, and Iron Man 3.

#10 badasser   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

12 Rounds, Mama, The Wicked, and Pain and Gain.

#11 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3479

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've seen the movie (which I loved when I was younger; it's been awhile since I saw it last), and a couple TV episodes. Is it worth watching the TV series?

I want to say hell yes, but i'm incredibly biased, as it's one of my favorite tv series ever.
you might also enjoy ST: TNG, or DS9.

I'd also recommend watching Pandorum if your into sci-fi movies. I caught it on the sci-fi channel one night, and it was surprisingly really good imo.

#12 goblinHOB   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

I watched Fast & Furious 6, Iron Man 3, and 12 Rounds.

#13 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4091

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Star Trek:  My wife hated it.  Said Kahn was a whiny bitch.  I love her.

Iron Man 3:  Better than two, but still not as good as the first.

Oblivion: This was actually my favorite of the three.  Didn't think a Tom Cruse sci-fi would work, but I really enjoyed it!

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#14 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oblivion: This was actually my favorite of the three. Didn't think a Tom Cruse sci-fi would work, but I really enjoyed it!

That's  beacuse scifi encompasses a lot of different genres. While many people, myself not excluding, expected a summer blockbuster of a Prometheus caliber, Oblivion is instead a very calm, soothing , slow-paced scifi - along the lines of Solaris, Blade Runner and Moon. That, in itself, is enough to make it fail horribly in a box office. I did love the Mass-Effect visuals, though.

The new Startrek is a very funny stand-up-comedy-like show, indeed. I really wouldn't go that far as to classify it under sci-fi at all - it's more of a Monthy Python-esqu-style comedy, that just happens to take place in spaceships - meaning the space here does not really play any part in the story - it is there just to fill the void between the stand-up comedy show of the actors, intertwined with multiple shitloads of a meaningless CGI).

Talking about Moon (2009), I would highly recommend that movie to anyone who is into slow-paced sci-fi. That movie reeks with atmosphere...

VladR    My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight:    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

#15 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1860

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Oblivion: This was actually my favorite of the three.  Didn't think a Tom Cruse sci-fi would work, but I really enjoyed it!

I take it you've not seen Minority Report?

#16 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

You seem to be discounting the [very real] possibility of him simply disliking that particular implementation of an urban sci-fi subgenre.

VladR    My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight:    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

#17 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4091

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

You seem to be discounting the [very real] possibility of him simply disliking that particular implementation of an urban sci-fi subgenre.

I was going off the fact the some of his movies (expect for Minority Report) have not been very good, and after "Eyes wide Shut" and "Magnolia" I am always worried! 

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#18 SymLinked   Members   -  Reputation: 849

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

I watched Vanilla Sky recently, and loved it. Not a big fan of Cruise, but I really liked the movie!

#19 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I was going off the fact the some of his movies (expect for Minority Report) have not been very good, and after "Eyes wide Shut" and "Magnolia" I am always worried!

Well, those ones couldn't be further from the sci-fi, if they wanted to, so I wouldn't be worried about Tom.

Take Leonardo DiCaprio, for example. Would you believe, 15 yrs ago, after watching Titanic, that he would become an actor with such an impressive range of believable characters he can play ? He grew almost exponentially. Tom Cruise may not have needed to grow that much,  but he doesn't posses the range that Leo does (irrespective of the director)

#20 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Last new movie I watched was Dredd 3D ... and boy was it a major letdown .

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS