• Create Account

The movie thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#21 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Star Trek: My wife hated it. Said Kahn was a whiny bitch. I love her.

Well I had a good time with the film. Though I was disappointed that Sherlock was actually Khan and that he did not do a lot of terrorism. Spock cried. And yelled 'Khan'. ....Spock has feelings. Alternate timeline indeed.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#22 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4022

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Would you believe, 15 yrs ago, after watching Titanic, that he would become an actor with such an impressive range of believable characters he can play ?

Yes, because before Titanic, he performed brilliantly in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries.

Edited by LennyLen, 29 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#23 swaggers   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Fast & Furious it's really awesome.

#24 painters   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

I watched Iron Man 3 and OZ The Great and Powerful.

#25 NewVoxel   Members   -  Reputation: 361

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

Haven't seen any good movies recently. I did just watch the hangover 3 a few weeks ago, but I don't remember any of it because I thought it would be a good idea to get drunk and have a hangover myself immediatly after the movie.

If anyone has some good TV series I could watch let me know. Dissapointed with the new season of Archer, and every other good show feels like it's going to shit.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

#26 SandyRojer   Members   -  Reputation: 101

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Waited for such long time and finally watched “Man of Steel”, it’s a fantastic superhero movie. The new actor looks ideal for the character and the new outfit is the highlight for me.

man_of_steel_poster_superman-350x500.jpg

#27 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3982

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

recently watched WWZ, i'd give it a solid 8/10, the zombies felt right, and quite aggressive. the ending was rather satisfying, and overall I found it to be an excellent film.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#28 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2499

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

recently watched WWZ, i'd give it a solid 8/10, the zombies felt right, and quite aggressive. the ending was rather satisfying, and overall I found it to be an excellent film.

I'd agree with that. For a movie that was basically "Brad Pitt vs. the zombie apocalypse" it was surprisingly entertaining and I thought the "solution" was pretty clever.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#29 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22731

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

For mine:

Man of Steel != superman. It is a pretty good action movie with lots of cinematic moments, but that is not the traditional Superman character. Good when I forgot it was supposed to be Superman, bad when I remembered.

F&F6. You get what you expect with the sixth installment. I thought the HISHE for the movie just released this week was better than the real movie.  Good moments, but turn off your brain.

Of the upcoming films, one blockbuster that makes me cry just from the trailers is Pacific Rim.  If you are going to build the giant robots hooked up to supercomputers, fire the idiots who made them completely human controlled.  Also fire the idiots who designed the suits with force-feedback that can injure the operators. Just more bad writing.

The best film I have seen was when my wife and daughters brought me along to "My Little Pony". The plot holes there were more explainable.  People in power could realistically dismiss the problems as teenage drama. There is a more rational explanation of no emergency response: if I heard radio calls about multiple Satan-looking flying demons destroying buildings with brimstone and magic, I probably wouldn't respond either. Not exactly stellar material, but at least gas stations didn't explode.

I still have moderately high hopes for the Lone Ranger (I already expect too many explosions from the trailer, but the clips seem funny), and from Turbo (can you mess up a snail superhero?).  Despicable Me 2 seems fun based on over-the-top minion abuse comedy, so I'll go to that.

None of the movies this summer really speak to me.

Edited by frob, 01 July 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#30 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Man of Steel != superman. It is a pretty good action movie with lots of cinematic moments, but that is not the traditional Superman character. Good when I forgot it was supposed to be Superman, bad when I remembered.

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was pretty good except for a couple issues at the start. 

Yes, because before Titanic, he performed brilliantly in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape he did fine in, but I wouldn't exactly say it was a film that determined he would be a great actor. He didn't mess up, but it wasn't exactly a very demanding role. No offense to him, but a worse actor could have probably performed similarly in the same role.

#31 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3982

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'd agree with that. For a movie that was basically "Brad Pitt vs. the zombie apocalypse" it was surprisingly entertaining and I thought the "solution" was pretty clever.

indeed, i'm quite happy it ended that way, instead of...

Spoiler

F&F6. You get what you expect with the sixth installment. I thought the HISHE for the movie just released this week was better than the real movie.  Good moments, but turn off your brain.

indeed, it's pretty much a popcorn flick at this point(really only the first couple films i put a bit of stock into the storys). the HISHE for it was absolutely brilliant=-).

The best film I have seen was when my wife and daughters brought me along to "My Little Pony". The plot holes there were more explainable.  People in power could realistically dismiss the problems as teenage drama. There is a more rational explanation of no emergency response: if I heard radio calls about multiple Satan-looking flying demons destroying buildings with brimstone and magic, I probably wouldn't respond either. Not exactly stellar material, but at least gas stations didn't explode.

indeed, this film was much better than i had ever thought it world be. out of curiosity, what was the theater demographic when you went to it?

I still have moderately high hopes for the Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger looks decent, not sure if i'll go watch it in theaters though.

Edited by slicer4ever, 01 July 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#32 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22731

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

indeed, this film was much better than i had ever thought it world be. out of curiosity, what was the theater demographic when you went to it?

The demographic was odd.

I discovered there is a "bronie" club in the city. They chose that showing to be the one they went to collectively.  They had probably 50 tickets preordered for the show.  That group was mostly 15-25 year old males mixed with some females, all of them in costume. The rest of the theater (roughly 200 or seats) was little girls and their families, many in costume, and the show sold out.  

When my kids sent me out for popcorn during the previews there were a bunch of little girls out in the lobby dressed in costume but unable to buy tickets thanks in part to the bronie club.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#33 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 1148

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Last movie I watches was Mama, and its my top horror movie all times. I loved it.

I liked Dredd 3D, dont know why everyone hated it..I watched it knowing everyone hated so it probably lowered my expectations. I liked the actors acting and holes, and overall atmosphere. It would be cool have a sequel that shows more the universe (instead of being locked on a building)

#34 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22731

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was pretty good except for a couple issues at the start.
I posted a bit of a review of it in my journal if you care to read the long version.

The short version is that Superman has a 75 year history. Except for one brief period during WW2, the Superman of the comics was concerned about saving everything; property and lives. Collateral damage was unacceptable. In the Multiverse there was a theme of an 'evil Superman', but the distinction was clear that it was not the real Superman. There were a few animated series that broke the tradition of Superman being the penultimate good guy, but they were mostly shunned. Ellesworth gave the character an extremely solid moral core, and the franchise adopted it.

Nearly all of Superman's 75 year history is that he has an extremely moral childhood with his foster parents instilling strict Christian values and a protestant ethic. Superman follows the values and protects people and property to the best of his ability, even risking his life to protect known criminals from harm.

The movie was typical of an action show (needless explosions, needless violence that destroys a city, etc.) Some reviewers tallied up Superman's own choices bring between 10,000 to 100,000 avoidable human deaths, along with untold billions of dollars in avoidable collateral damage.

That is okay for a superhero movie. But Superman has 75 years of history. Invoking the brand means you get ALL the brand even if you don't like parts of it. The movie was so-so if it had been a different or generic superhero, but was very off brand for Superman.

#35 Run Cycle Media   Members   -  Reputation: 157

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed WWZ, but (Spoilers) ...   ... ok. So if the zombies don't attack sick people, there's no way that doesn't get figured out VERY quickly. The movie never takes us to a hospital, because unlike in the book where they are the first to go, in this film, the entire cancer ward would be calling anyone and everyone to let them know "HEY, WERE NOT BEING EATEN". Consider how many hospitals there are in the world (18,000 according to wiki), and how many millions of people have diseases, and there's just no way this isn't figured very early.

I do love how intimate the final zombie sequence is. All the faceless horde attacking like lava, and the most intense moment of the film gets to be just Pitt, one zombie, and a glass door. Everything slows down, we get to see an infected up close doing some nice acting, and its all very suspenseful. Smartly done I thought.

#36 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 936

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

I'm really looking forward to watching Elysium. That film looks epic.

Kryotech

#37 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

So far I have seen (this year):

Star Trek. Pretty good. I love how they restarted the franchise. One bad decision after another had pretty much ran it into the ground. It needed some drastic life support, and JJ Abrams delivered. The casting is nearly perfect. I cannot wait for the third.

Man of Steel. I disagree with some of the above comments. This IS a departure from the comic book. However, this IS what Superman would be like if he actually existed. You have to look back at the time when the comics first came out to understand why Superman acts the way he has for the past 3/4 of a century. The same can be said for the Batman franchise. The last movies were "real". They were not a running gag fest with cheesy comedic villains. Yes, it is a departure from the tone of the comics, but for the better, IMO.

Despicable Me 2. I love animated movies and the minions are too funny to miss. I love it when they sing! biggrin.png Their renditions of "I Swear" (Underwear) by All-4-One and "Y.M.C.A." (Mocha) by the Village People are simply hilarious in their language!

Cannot wait for Pacific Rim!

Edited by MarkS, 09 July 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#38 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3982

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

I'm really looking forward to watching Elysium. That film looks epic.

The first trailer i saw for Elysium was a few weeks back, and left me confused as to the point of the movie.  at WWZ they showed a new trailer, that got me alot more excited for the film.

So far I have seen (this year):

Star Trek. Pretty good. I love how they restarted the franchise. One bad decision after another had pretty much ran it into the ground. It needed some drastic life support, and JJ Abrams delivered. The casting is nearly perfect. I cannot wait for the third.

Man of Steel. I disagree with some of the above comments. This IS a departure from the comic book. However, this IS what Superman would be like if he actually existed. You have to look back at the time when the comics first came out to understand why Superman acts the way he has for the past 3/4 of a century. The same can be said for the Batman franchise. The last movies were "real". They were not a running gag fest with cheesy comedic villains. Yes, it is a departure from the tone of the comics, but for the better, IMO.

I think Man of steel is probably getting similar hate that the new star trek's get.  it's from the hardcore fans whom can't recognize that the media has to change to be appealing, else it'll be left in limbo forever.  at the end of the day, be happy studio's are willing to give it a chance, as it means the franchise is still alive and kicking. 

#39 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

Saw Now You See Me yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Very entertaining, good characters and good story. Its what I want in a cinema outing after a long day at work.

Currently watching Twin Peaks on reccomendation from Bastille. And I think its amazing. One of the best tv shows I have watched. 

Also finished Orphan Black recently and damn that was one brilliant show.

#40 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3982

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

I watched pacific rim yesterday(i've never gone to the movies so many times in one year).  and damn, i've never been more satisfied with watching giant mechs/monsters fight.  the action was quite top-notch, the monsters were increadibly detailed(as well as the robots).  the tech was quite plausible(i even liked the fact that the holographic systems had visible projectors, rather than just being made out of thin air).  The plot was rather decent enough imo.  In the end, i felt like a kid in the theater with a giant grin just watching this thing.

in short, i gave it an 8/10.

personally I really feel like this film was essentially a live action Neon genesis evangelion, which i loved.

Edited by slicer4ever, 14 July 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS