• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

The movie thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#41 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I just saw Man of Steel. It was like watching Jesus, Dragonball Z, and Superman all at once. I don't know whether that was good or bad. I will say that Lois Lane must have superpowers of her own given what she did while she was next to the gravity beam. My only real complaint was that crammed too much story at once and they introduced the romance between Superman and Lois way too soon. Grade: B+.

I need to see:

• Elysium
  • Wolverine
  • Pacific Rim.

There were a couple of others that caught my eye but I forgot the names.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#42 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2435

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

I watched pacific rim yesterday(i've never gone to the movies so many times in one year).  and damn, i've never been more satisfied with watching giant mechs/monsters fight.  the action was quite top-notch, the monsters were increadibly detailed(as well as the robots).  the tech was quite plausible(i even liked the fact that the holographic systems had visible projectors, rather than just being made out of thin air).  The plot was rather decent enough imo.  In the end, i felt like a kid in the theater with a giant grin just watching this thing.

Totally agree. Watched it last week and I loved it. 

This review just about sums it up for me

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#43 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I watched pacific rim yesterday(i've never gone to the movies so many times in one year).  and damn, i've never been more satisfied with watching giant mechs/monsters fight.  the action was quite top-notch, the monsters were increadibly detailed(as well as the robots).  the tech was quite plausible(i even liked the fact that the holographic systems had visible projectors, rather than just being made out of thin air).  The plot was rather decent enough imo.  In the end, i felt like a kid in the theater with a giant grin just watching this thing.

Totally agree. Watched it last week and I loved it. 

This review just about sums it up for me

Agree for the most part. I wish they would have showed more of the fighting in the early montage during the, "... and then we started winning..." part at the start.

SPOILER:

Also I wish the chinese/russian robots wouldn't have gotten owned so fast. I wish they would have at least put up a half decent fight and then went down. They could have cut out some of the story bits (especially the kind of forced will they won't they romance bits) and made that fight at least a little bit less of them just getting their faces rocked.

#44 Solid_Spy   Members   -  Reputation: 420

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Pacific rim was awesome :3

#45 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I liked it as well. I found the "masters" curious.

Spoiler

#46 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3943

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

I liked it as well. I found the "masters" curious.

Spoiler

to your spoiler:

Spoiler

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#47 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1640

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

World War Z: Best. Movie. Ever.

I know people who read the book hated it, because the story line was pretty much gone, but as an action movie, it is great.

Personally, I didn't like Iron Man 3, why would they make a Christmas movie and release it in the middle of may?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#48 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3651

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Pacific Rim was sort of disappointing, but worth seeing I think. The characters were just dumb, and not in a funny, entertaining way, but in a flat, unironic kind of way. Same with the plot. It was stuck in the nether between intentionally cheesy and earnestly interesting. Overall, the action overcomes the annoying-ness of everything else (see spoiler), but not by a hugely comfortable margin.

Really, I could have used more variety in the Robot fighting, too, since that was what made the movie. 

Spoiler

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#49 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2435

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Watched The Worlds End last week. Interesting movie, and pretty brave. For a comedy, it spends the first half laughing at something, and then it points out just how messed up what we were laughing at is.

That said, it was hilarious. Frost and Pegg nail it and the direction is excellent.

And if you don't believe me, ask Neil Gaiman

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#50 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3943

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Watched The Worlds End last week. Interesting movie, and pretty brave. For a comedy, it spends the first half laughing at something, and then it points out just how messed up what we were laughing at is.

That said, it was hilarious. Frost and Pegg nail it and the direction is excellent.

And if you don't believe me, ask Neil Gaiman

damn, lucky!  is it released earlier where you live? or you just got into an early screening?

edit: reading his status, looks like you got into an early screening.

Edited by slicer4ever, 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#51 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2435

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

damn, lucky!  is it released earlier where you live? or you just got into an early screening?

Nah, just released early in NZ. Every now and then we get an early release, but sometimes we can be pretty far behind. e.g. nearly a month later for Skyfall.

#52 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 908

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

So I just saw Elysium. I thought it was pretty good (not as good as District 9 though), but the ending was a bit cliched. Anyone else see Elyium?

Kryotech

#53 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2170

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

So the Pacific Rim is good?

I thought it sucks that Godzillas have fist-fight (ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png) with robots. Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts. Like The Asylum studio won the lottery.

Obvilion was okay, Elysium and Gravity is waited in excitement.

#54 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts.

I don't remember that. In fact, I remember wondering why they don't just nuke 'em.

#55 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3943

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Then someone told me that it's explained in the movie why they don't just nuke/laser/rocket the beasts.

I don't remember that. In fact, I remember wondering why they don't just nuke 'em.
Potential spoilers:
Spoiler

#56 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2435

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

I don't remember it being explained in the movie either, but I guess it's because there's been so many of the damn things if you kept nuking them, you'd actually start getting Godzilla from the native pacific sea life!

#57 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3651

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I don't remember it being explained in the movie either, but I guess it's because there's been so many of the damn things if you kept nuking them, you'd actually start getting Godzilla from the native pacific sea life!

I think the explanation for robots is Kaiju blood being toxic (Kaiju Blue) so you don't really want to spread their guts o'er the land.

Personally, I think a fleet of bombers with these would make more sense, but those fight scenes wouldn't be quite as exciting.Rods from God would be pretty sweet to see, though.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#58 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I need someone to explain the technology of the Elysium space station.   For example, in the movie, they have an open atmosphere, so ships can fly right into it.  Wouldn't the the vacuum of space would suck it right up?   Sure, Earth has an open atmosphere, but, it's held in place by the forces of gravity, gases, and a magnetic field.  How would you simulate an open atmosphere on a small scale?

Also, at the end of the movie:

Spoiler

Edited by sevenfold1, 14 August 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#59 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2170

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

I need someone to explain the technology of the Elysium space station.   For example, in the movie, they have an open atmosphere, so ships can fly right into it.  Wouldn't the the vacuum of space would suck it right up?   Sure, Earth has an open atmosphere, but, it's held in place by the forces of gravity, gases, and a magnetic field.  How would you simulate an open atmosphere on a small scale?

Also, at the end of the movie:

Spoiler

With a thin layer of ionised gas kept in place with a magnetic field, maybe. Same way portals of space stations are done in Star Wars.

I don't know why this haven't been achieved yet is real life, maybe we can't focus magnetic fields that precisely, or without EMI side effects.

Power-out issue: maybe permanent magnets or just a safety, totally separate power line for the atmosphere.

Edited by szecs, 14 August 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#60 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I was wondering if the Elysium space station was based off of this:

Open Air Space Habitats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Ring_(habitat)

http://www.iase.cc/openair.htm

High atmospheric walls are built to prevent the atmosphere gases from leaking.

Edited by sevenfold1, 14 August 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS