• Create Account

Blender Export Keyframe Animation

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1655

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi All,

Perhaps someone who has a better knowledge of Blender than me can suggest a few things?

Whilst my projects can load and display boned animation for the COLLADA format, I would also like to improve my existing simple keyframe animation system. Basically I export a model from Blender as Wavefront (.obj) and then use a quick 'n dirty tool to do the simple animation and export a basic .anm file (and then interpolate at runtime).

An example of the .anm file is:

# partname x y z rotx roty rotz
frame
head 0 0 0 0 90 0
body 0.1 3.4 5.2 0 0 0
frame

I am trying to cut down on the requirement of this internal tool and do all the 3D model stuff in Blender. Does anyone know of a way I can still export a model using a simple format like .obj and then also export a keyframe file separately?

I might be thinking of exporting a new model each frame and then run it through a small tool to work out what has moved and how much but this means I would need another quick 'n dirty step in the pipeline ;)

Any ideas? If not I might have to write a plugin for Blender but tbh I am worried that since Blender is a fast evolving open-source project, the maintenance required to keep the plugin in sync with the API could be quite a lot more work than a seperate tool.

Edited by Karsten_, 28 May 2013 - 10:50 AM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Sponsor:

#2 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2762

1Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

I might be thinking of exporting a new model each frame and then run it through a small tool to work out what has moved and how much but this means I would need another quick 'n dirty step in the pipeline ;)

Any ideas? If not I might have to write a plugin for Blender but tbh I am worried that since Blender is a fast evolving open-source project, the maintenance required to keep the plugin in sync with the API could be quite a lot more work than a seperate tool.

I'd recommend trying a Blender plugin first: the API is stable enough and a separate "small tool" is likely to be complex.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#3 lunkhound   Members   -  Reputation: 705

1Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

The blender export plugin here:

https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/blender2ogre

Might be a decent starting point.  It is up to date with recent versions of Blender (2.66).  Also it outputs to a an easy to read XML format.

It is designed for the Ogre3d graphics engine.  The bone animations get written into a ".skeleton.xml" file.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS