• Create Account

setting up a company in the UK advice

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 mshurst   Members   -  Reputation: 149

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I am currently in between my second and third year of university and over the summer a few of us are wanting to get further into android development, with the end goal being putting some apps up on the play store

We figured to do this properly and for it to look as good as possible on both portfolios and CVs we were thinking we might go down the route of registering an official company and making the games through there, however there seems to be a baffling amount of information on how exactly to go about this, the types of business etc, and this is where I need some advice

For instance, would it be better to go down the limited company route, or possibly a buisiness partnership? To give some more background info, there will probably be between 2 and 5 of us in the team and all of us will be equals. I have looked at the government website for this and although it explains the general side of things it doesn't delve into things I might need to know as a games company

I also am willing to be talked out of this if others have considered similar options and decided to not end up starting up a company in the end

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9450

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I can only give you "setting up a company anywhere" advice. 

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm

http://www.igda.org/introducing-games-game-march-2003

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1588

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

There are companies available to help you set up a Ltd company in the UK.  They usually charge between £100 - £200.  This is more expensive than it  actually is.but they take care of tall the paperwork that you would otherwise need to figure out.  If you do everything yourself then I think there is only a £75 fee.
The process is basically set up a company bank account and register your company name as a ltd company with companies house.

Just google "set up UK Ltd company".  It will get you results a lot quicker than asking on a forum.

#4 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1588

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

One thing to consider is that if you do set a Ltd company you will need to fill in a tax return every year (for ever) even if you shut down the company.

#5 Katie   Members   -  Reputation: 1313

1Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

Don't start founding companies yet. You'll just spend all your time doing paperwork and not enough writing code. Seriously; you have NO IDEA how much paperwork the inland revenue can throw at you. PAYE takes either a lot of doing or a lot of paying accountants to do. You can avoid it by not operating payroll, but then you just have to constantly have arguments with HMRC about how you're "not allowed" to do that (you are, but they don't like it) and that chews up time as well.

Get on with writing code. When the games are running and saleable, THEN you can go do the company founding thing.

#6 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1588

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Don't start founding companies yet. You'll just spend all your time doing paperwork and not enough writing code. Seriously; you have NO IDEA how much paperwork the inland revenue can throw at you. PAYE takes either a lot of doing or a lot of paying accountants to do. You can avoid it by not operating payroll, but then you just have to constantly have arguments with HMRC about how you're "not allowed" to do that (you are, but they don't like it) and that chews up time as well.

Get on with writing code. When the games are running and saleable, THEN you can go do the company founding thing.

This is all very very true.  In fact when I set mine I'd already received a few months of payments which I then back dated after the company was set up.

#7 King_Tetiro   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'm also interested in getting a uk business set up. I have got projects on the go and to make money, I need to do the paperwork. Where would I get the forms from?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS