• Create Account

MSAA in WinRT

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 OpaqueEncounter   Members   -  Reputation: 155

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

There's no MSAA in WinRT. Has anyone found a workaround? I tried rudimentary supersampling (draw to larger buffer, then draw a scaled down quad), but this is unrealistic for production.

What are the options?

#2 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 13475

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Not sure it its helpful, but early hardware versions of MSAA didn't super-sample textures or run the pixel shader multiple times (which is effectively what your rudimentary super-sampling does). Instead, they only super-sampled the stencil and depth values (and then, I imagine, blended the pixel-shader output color with the existing framebuffer color by weighted average).

Not sure if you could emulate this through a shader or not, but its another approach.

Also, is it really Windows RT in general, or is it the limitations of current hardware (Tegra 3) in current WinRT tablets?

throw table_exception("(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻");

#3 OpaqueEncounter   Members   -  Reputation: 155

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I am not 100% sure, but I did get a sense of that. One of MonoGame's issues talks about that, https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/issues/358.

The question that I have, is how to actually enable MSAA (even if it is just for x86). Setting number of samples in either DirectX WinRT API or SharpDX doesn't seem to do anything at all (throws an Exception in SharpDX by design).

Also, is it really Windows RT in general, or is it the limitations of current hardware (Tegra 3) in current WinRT tablets?

#4 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 13475

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

According to comments in the bug, one user was reporting that MSAA worked fine in Windows store apps on x86, but not on ARM (Windows RT). Its still not immediately clear to me whether this is related to hardware limitations, or by-design, but I still suspect the former. Currently, most Windows RT devices are Tegra 3 (including the Surface RT), with the Samsung Ativ Tab running a Snapdragon S4 (Adreno 225 GPU). The former is a feature-level 9.1 part, the latter is a feature-level 9.3 part. No Windows RT devices currently have beyond Direct3D 9 features, and MSAA support wasn't required until after Direct3D 9. It's entirely possible, likely even, that MSAA would be just fine on Windows RT if the hardware supported it.

throw table_exception("(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻");

#5 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 491

0Likes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

You could try a post-process AA, but it might damage performance. There are many options out there because lots of research went into it after deferred rendering became popular a few years ago

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS