• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

The Algorithm Design of Candy Crush

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 finanshow   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi guys,

I would like to know how would you will design the core algorithm of CANDY CRUSH? Any one got idea?

com.supergames.candycrushsaga_94396700_0

Sponsor:

#2 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1472

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

You need to be more specific. 

In terms of representation, they can be stored in an array or a list.

#3 finanshow   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

You need to be more specific. 

In terms of representation, they can be stored in an array or a list.

Here what I mean is that algorithm to traverse the board to find out which candy need to be remove.

#4 BloodyEpi   Members   -  Reputation: 647

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

Is this one of these "Match 3 in a row" games?

Just check if the two flipped objects are connected to 2 more equal objects, if yes remove all of them, if not flip back.

#5 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2908

2Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

You could use a flood fill to find and count the objects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_fill

#6 finanshow   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Is this one of these "Match 3 in a row" games?

Just check if the two flipped objects are connected to 2 more equal objects, if yes remove all of them, if not flip back.

Yes, It's kind of "Match 3 in a row" game.

How you got to implement this rule? Use recursion or backtracing? How to organized those objects, the board should be traverse each time.

Thanks,

#7 MatrixTan   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

you can use a bit map to store the types of candy. the player can change only two of them each time. so you just scan and check the ranks of them.

#8 finanshow   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

You could use a flood fill to find and count the objects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_fill

Hi @Hedman, Great answer! It's helpful... biggrin.png

#9 MatrixTan   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi @Hedman, Great answer! It's helpful... biggrin.png

learning...

#10 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 814

1Likes

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

I am working on a match 3 game, but it also matches irregular pieces connected to the original match. For that I am using the flood fill already mentioned on the thread.

#11 finanshow   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

I am working on a match 3 game, but it also matches irregular pieces connected to the original match. For that I am using the flood fill already mentioned on the thread.

Thanks CJ. laugh.png

#12 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2117

0Likes

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

I believe I answered this kind of question before. You could search your space for 2 criteria: 2 of the same "candy" adjacent horizontally or vertically, and then see if at least a third is switchable from whichever direction the "candies" are in (horizontal or vertical). This covers the first portion. The second is looking for 2 "candies" that are in a line, horizontally or vertically, with only 1 piece that separates them. Then with that one piece, see if a piece in the opposite direction (if you are finding horizontal lines, look vertically, or vice versa) can be switched to make 3. If so, this is a match.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS