• Create Account

How to correctly synchronize a shared surface?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Asik   Members   -  Reputation: 132

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hello,

I am trying to share a direct3d9 surface between two processes. One process (let's call it A) writes to the surface, and the other (B) displays it on screen. Currently, process A does a StretchRect of its rendering surface to a shared surface, and then sets a flag in shared system memory to tell B that it's done. When B sees the flag, it then does a StretchRect of the shared surface to its own display surface. Process B then sets the flag again to tell A it is done.

It seems however that after the StretchRect on the shared surface returns, the texture has not necessarily finished copying, because sometimes Process B gets the previous picture, or sometimes even there is tearing (i.e. one half of picture N + one half of picture N + 1).

As I understand it, Direct3D is largely asynchronous under the hood, and does not ensure synchronisation between processes. I therefore need to ensure by myself that Process A has finished copying before displaying in process B, and vice-versa. Am I correct in my interpretation of the situation, and how would I achieve this? I am experimenting with LockRect() but I'm not sure if that's optimal or even guaranteed to work.

Edited by Dr_Asik, 31 May 2013 - 08:51 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS