Getting started in Game Development

Started by
1 comment, last by Scobbo 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi in need of some advice.

I've just finished my 1st year at uni studying computer science(games development) degree, whilst i've learnt a lot and created a couple of simple games one was a web app space shooter with java script, and the other a mobile phone app paper scissor stones game using MIT software.

Do i create a website to post my assignments i've done to show what i can do and ask other indie devs to maybe join in and create a game together and maybe post it to game companies to try and get a job in the games industry.

Or do i keep working on my coding and game development and keep my head down for another year as i might be jumping the gun to soon.

kind regards

carl reeves.

Advertisement

See my Sig :)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hey,

I'd say, keep studying but using a website as a portfolio is a great idea. I'd suggest wordpress, they host sites but I don't think they give you much space, so you could use one to show what you can do but not host the games themselves. The other thing is buy a domain and someone to host it and install wordpress on that site. I'd suggest freehostia.com Their free plan is pretty good to get started and you can upgrade to a bigger plan or just buy the components you need such as space, bandwidth or databases. Don't go looking for a job just yet, get some more years under your belt, but build up your portfolio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement