• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Getting started in Game Development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 CockRoach   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi in need of some advice.

I've just finished my 1st year at uni studying computer science(games development) degree, whilst i've learnt a lot and created a couple of simple games one was a web app space shooter with java script, and the other a mobile phone app paper scissor stones game using MIT software.

Do i create a website to post my assignments i've done to show what i can do and ask other indie devs to maybe join in and create a game together and maybe post it to game companies to try and get a job in the games industry.

Or do i keep working on my coding and game development and keep my head down for another year as i might be jumping the gun to soon.

kind regards

carl reeves. 

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

1Likes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

See my Sig :)

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Scobbo   Members   -  Reputation: 178

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hey,

I'd say, keep studying but using a website as a portfolio is a great idea. I'd suggest wordpress, they host sites but I don't think they give you much space, so you could use one to show what you can do but not host the games themselves. The other thing is buy a domain and someone to host it and install wordpress on that site. I'd suggest freehostia.com Their free plan is pretty good to get started and you can upgrade to a bigger plan or just buy the components you need such as space, bandwidth or databases. Don't go looking for a job just yet, get some more years under your belt, but build up your portfolio.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS