Suggestions on what sould i do after second game "project"

Started by
2 comments, last by BaneTrapper 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello.

I am currently questioning what sould i make as in develop,build...

Second project i ever made was 2d rpg that can be found here

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/641117-check-up-the-wanderer/

I stoped the project because i got full time job and just cant maintain such a huge project ive taken my hands on.

One thing i learned is to lisen when i am told, that RPG takes so much time to make then other genres.

What i ask:

What genre is fastest to make? what do i mean? well thats a dull question because of so many variables that affect it, but still what sould i aim for with (1-2h day, 50h a month? with 6-12 months of work to finish project?

(Anyway i am thinking about coding only, i will try to find free art, and free sounds and not focus on that too much, what i am aiming for is my part... the code)

What i know:

I am pretty good in knowledge base, but i lack XP as in experience in doing stuff actually.

ive made ([block breaker clone], [2d rpg with map exploration, combat sys, shop system, inventory, stats, classes])

Advertisement

I would suggest you just keep working on your RPG in your spare time. It should grow as your tools and skills do. The more you learn how to do the more you should add into your game.

You should keep doing what you want to be doing.

Sure, for some genres the basic scope might be bigger, but it still depends how big the scope is that you're setting for yourself. You can make a simple RPG in a month, but you can also make a big platformer in a year.

Just take a look at your goals, what do you want to achieve with this game, is it purely for personal experience or do you want it to become commercial? Because if it's a personal project, you shouldn't worry to much about it and just do your thing, as long as you are learning from it, depending on once again what your aim is.

So like mistervirtue already mentioned, keep working on your rpg, not finishing the game within a week doesn't mean you're not learning from it.

I would suggest you just keep working on your RPG in your spare time. It should grow as your tools and skills do. The more you learn how to do the more you should add into your game.

Thank you on that morale boost!
Honestly i was not being open minded... until your post!

You should keep doing what you want to be doing.

Sure, for some genres the basic scope might be bigger, but it still depends how big the scope is that you're setting for yourself. You can make a simple RPG in a month, but you can also make a big platformer in a year.

Just take a look at your goals, what do you want to achieve with this game, is it purely for personal experience or do you want it to become commercial? Because if it's a personal project, you shouldn't worry to much about it and just do your thing, as long as you are learning from it, depending on once again what your aim is.

So like mistervirtue already mentioned, keep working on your rpg, not finishing the game within a week doesn't mean you're not learning from it.

Thank you on that morale boost!
Ive made a quite mess at end of the project... I went out of my ways to get stuff done and its allot of fixing and rewriting to get in order and frankly all the late stuff i made i went out of my regular syntax so its kinda painfull, but my point is to learn, and BOY DID I LEARN SOMETHING...

Again thank you both!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement