• Create Account

Simple splash screen?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tispe   Members   -  Reputation: 1033

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hi

What is the simplest/best way of drawing a splash screen, like the one in Diablo3 with transparent background?

I was thinking of having a PNG resource, load it to an object and call "object.drawsplash()", then when I have finished loading some assets, I can take down the splash and ShowWindow().

Can DirectX9 sprites be used for this? or Do they require a client window? Any other small/simple libraries/apis I can wrap/static link for this purpose?

Cheers

Sponsor:

#2 /Jeff/   Members   -  Reputation: 648

1Likes

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

I believe Layered Windows are one (somewhat involved) way to do this.

#3 Ars7c3   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Are you looking to have different game states, such as a Splash Screen state, a Menu state, and a Playing state? Or are you simply asking how you would go about making a 

transparent splash screen background?

#4 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 486

-4Likes

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

I use PNG's for pretty much all my game images now.  I even created a tutorial showing how to load png files using c++ here: http://www.marekknows.com/downloads.php5?vmk=cpp24p1

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

0Likes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I use PNG's for pretty much all my game images now.  I even created a tutorial showing how to load png files using c++ here: http://www.marekknows.com/downloads.php5?vmk=cpp24p1

This is an advertisement for a pay-walled website. Please only post advertisements in the Your Announcements forums.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS