• Create Account

Release Form - Voice Acting

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 WishingStar   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi GameDev!

We are currently in the process of having an voice actress do a recording for us. However, to protect both her and us, we will be providing a release form for her to sign.

Would anyone know how to create, or where to find an example of, a media release form specifically catered to voice recording? It needs to include the specifics of:

1. All recordings submitted are owned by the company, and free to use commercially; she's essentially doing this as a portfolio piece for us.

2. No monetary compensation is obligated, but will be given per our discretion; in other words, if we make anything, we would hope to compensate her for her time in the future.

Thank you!

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22714

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yes, you talk to your lawyer.  

It doesn't take long and can be done with minimal lawyer time. There are around 15 families of IP rights that need to be either assigned or waived specifically. There are also location-specific regulations that need to be followed. You need to specify consideration of payment, purposes and allowed uses, combination with other works and media, assignment and transfer, exclusivity, duration, choice of governing law, and so on.

Your lawyer will then prepare the document.

Edited by frob, 06 June 2013 - 10:55 AM.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#3 Steven Lowell   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hey man!

I just wanted to mention such templates for documents are available online. I have used templates before, and this sounds like a contractor agreement because she is performing services for you, but media release forms can be found online as well. I used one from About.com for my current voice over job. You can add whatever language you wish to it, and then have a lawyer check it. If you dont have the money for such a thing, you should still get something in writing.

On a side note, voice actors who work online are mostly do-it-yourself people, so she may even know herself. I work with voice actors myself on some casting sites.

#4 WishingStar   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks guys,

We may be able to contact a lawyer to look it over, but I will take the advice of grabbing a template first. I wasn't sure what to call it, but a Contractor Agreement sounds about right. I will also ask the voice actress herself if she has one she has previously used.

Thanks for the advice!

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10158

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I wasn't sure what to call it, but a Contractor Agreement sounds about right

Also take a look at a Model Release.

Edited by Tom Sloper, 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS