• Create Account

2d workflow for side scroller

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShadowMan777   Members   -  Reputation: 361

0Likes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hello, I am new to 2d art and I had a question about the ground part of a level. What does the workflow look like for a 2d game like Dust: An Elysian Tale? I want to do that kind of ground where there is some depth to it, and I was wondering how you would go about connecting this to make a level. I use illustrator for all my art, as I find it faster than pure photoshop.  Would I draw the ground and make it tilable? Or would I draw the entire ground of my level as one piece of art. I can't seem to figure out how Dust does the art. Thank you for any input/workflow guidance for this style of 2d art.

Sponsor:

#2 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 957

2Likes

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

In Dust: An Elysian Tail, the levels are made up of "pieces" of art (e.g. a piece of a road, a piece of a tree, etc.). These pieces have fuzzy edges and, when put together with the level editor, blend seamlessly together. So no, the ground is not tiled and is not drawn as one piece of art. You can find a bit of information about how Dean Dodrill created the levels in Dust here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/postmortem_humble_hearts_dust_.php

Edited by Ludus, 10 June 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS