• Create Account

Calling all IT Pros from Canada and Australia.. we need your help! Support our site by taking a quick sponsored surveyand win a chance at a $50 Amazon gift card. Click here to get started!

Whats a good way to render Fonts in DX11

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 ehmdjii   Members   -  Reputation: 234

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

hi, i am looking for a good way to render fonts.

so far i have used BMFont by Angelcode, but it has problems with my source font.

requirements:

1. my source fonts are in OTF format.

2. kerning

3. wide range of characters (certain whitespaces must be supported. i.e. the correct width has to be reported)

do you know of any other possibilities to render fonts in DX11?

Sponsor:

#2 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4084

1Likes

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I've heard of a thing called DirectWrite, never really looked at it though.

Rasterizing text to textures and them drawing them works just as good as always (as long as the textures are properly mapped to screen), for example using FreeType.

I use Uniscribe with some custom drawing routines. It looks really bad but worked with every language, with every font, with every character I managed to throw at it. On the pro side, text becomes a "fire and forget" operation which is quite handy for me as I hate dealing with text.

Edited by Krohm, 11 June 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#3 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 2414

0Likes

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

FW1FontWrapper (http://fw1.codeplex.com/) is a reasonably straight forward wrapper for rendering fonts in DX11 - it uses DirectWrite

Edited by Orangeatang, 12 June 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS