• Create Account

Why do I keep getting randomly signed-off?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Since yesterday, I've been randomly and automatically logged out of my session. It's happened 3 times so far. Is it just me or is there something going on?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2974

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have not experienced this.

If you change your password does it stop? (Maybe you've been hacked?)

Edited by dmatter, 12 June 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#3 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well I hope not. I've changed my password. Let's see if that helps.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Nope, that didn't work. When I read your post, I was logged off. Then I changed my password and was logged in. Came back to this page, posted the post above, and was immediately logged out again. Now I logged back in, just so I can write this. So this makes 5 times now.

Spoiler

#5 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I will investigate it.. I can say though that our server went through a MAJOR change last night.   That is to say, we *almost* have the site completely moved over to a new server but there is still more to be done.   I'm not sure why you would have login issues just yet.

#6 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hrmm..  I've been seeing some issues myself with it going off and back on.

#7 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Guys if you spot any patterns please let me know.   I did make some tweaks to our varnish cache.. it may be thinking the site went down because it didn't get a response quick enough from the backend web server.  I upped it from 300ms.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 12 June 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#8 radioteeth   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 914

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

I actually had this problem a while back on here, it was really obnoxious. I don't recall what fixed it, but I believe it was my machine/browser/etc... Try uninstalling and re-installing your browser. Perhaps something is out of date, who knows. All I know is that I actually stopped coming here for a time because it was just so inconvenient.

#9 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8152

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's strange, happened to me too in Chromium yesterday. Occasionally I'd click on a subforum or topic and I'd end up logged off on that page, but would get logged back in automatically at the next visit. Nothing today yet.

And, no, I haven't been haxxored ph34r.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#10 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Is it still happening now?

#11 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Seems to be good so far.

Spoiler

#12 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

Good so far.. with the new server migration we also made it through a night without crashing (we typically crashed when our host was backing up our complete server and using up all the available disk IO)

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 13 June 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#13 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2355

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Possibly related, when im browsing on mobile the site resets to desktop mode if i dont use it for a while... Didbt happen before, started a few days ago.

Waterlimon (imagine this is handwritten please)

#14 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

It happened again. First time coming to the site in like 5 hours and I was signed out. We'll see what happens in the next few hours.

Spoiler

#15 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8152

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

Just happened again for me.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#16 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

When you get signed out.. if you click on another page after a few seconds do you appear signed in again?   The reason I ask is because if our caching server thinks the backend is down it serves up what an unlogged in user would see.   You likely may not actually be getting signed out at all.   I want to see if that is what you are experiencing before I go and tweak those numbers again.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 14 June 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#17 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Just happened to me. There have also been several times that I go to the GameDev.net home page (when opening my first GD tab; i.e. I'm not already somewhere else on GD) and on the home page it says I'm signed out (there's the "Sign In" button in the top right), but then when I click on "New Content" it then says I'm signed in. That's happened several times, but since it seemed to correct itself every time I just clicked to another GD page, I didn't think much about it.

But today I didn't get signed back in when I clicked on "New Content." Or any other link, for that matter; I stayed signed out, and after much clicking about, I decided to manually sign myself back in and post in this thread.

Weird.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#18 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5142

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

I tweaked some more things.. let me know if this still happens.

#19 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

I've been good for a week now. So everything seems fine.

Spoiler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS