• Create Account

Issue with outputting rendered images to files after window is closed

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 datahead8888   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've been working on an OpenGL program and wanted to create a "video generation mode" where it outputs to a series of numbered targa files that can later be collated with a video editing tool.  I'm using glut with OpenGL (without shaders) and Visual C++ express on Windows.

What I've found is that it works fine when the window is open -- each output targa image is correct.

The moment I close the window, I found that the rendering code keeps running -- if I have cout's they keep printing to the console.  If does not render correctly to the targa images at that point - every other frame it is upside down and swaps red and blue.

If I could detect window close events, I could terminate the application on a window close so that it stops outputting targa images, but this version of glut does not have that callback and freeglut is not an option.

The relevant code is below...

//The following section is after the openGL rendering code

glReadBuffer(GL_BACK); //Tried with and without this line
        glFlush();  //Tried with and without this line

//This does the buffer read

glReadPixels(0, 0, windowWidth, windowHeight, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, screenBuffer);

//Vertically flip the image in memory - it flips two rows from the screen in memory at a time

//The images will be upside down without this
        for (int i = 0; i < windowHeight / 2; i++)
        {
            if (i != windowHeight - i)
            {
                memcpy(temp,(uint8_t *)&screenBuffer[i * windowWidth * 4], windowWidth * 4 * sizeof(uint8_t));
                memcpy((uint8_t *)&screenBuffer[i * windowWidth * 4], (uint8_t *)&screenBuffer[(windowHeight - i) * windowWidth * 4], windowWidth * 4 * sizeof(uint8_t));
                memcpy((uint8_t *)&screenBuffer[(windowHeight - i) * windowWidth * 4], temp, windowWidth * 4 * sizeof(uint8_t));

}
        }

//I used the C targa library at -- http://dmr.ath.cx/gfx/targa/

sprintf(imageFileName, "videoFile%d.tga", frameNumber);
        tga_result result = tga_write_rgb(imageFileName, screenBuffer, windowWidth, windowHeight, 32);

frameNumber++;

Edited by datahead8888, 12 June 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 dpadam450   Members   -  Reputation: 858

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Depending on what you are really doing, why not use screen capture like camtasia?
Saving files like that is going to eat your harddrive because they will eat up clusters quick.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS