early depth pass

Started by
-1 comments, last by marcClintDion 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello, I'm trying to implement the early depth pass that is often mentioned but it is not working as described. *update* I'd like to use the shadow pass for both but I have now just realized after posting that the depth is being written to an FBO and this seems likely to be the issue. *UPDATE_2* I disabled the FBO and the results are the same, nothing is rendered. Everything works fine until I get to the part where the depth configuration code is set for the color writes. The following is how I'm initializing the depth texture, it is pretty much verbatim from the PowerVR SDK and works for Windows, iOS, and also through the WINE emulator.

//===================================================================================================
glGenTextures(1, &m_uiShadowMapTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_uiShadowMapTexture);
//-------------------------------------------------
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, (GLsizei)viewWidth, (GLsizei)viewHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, NULL);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
//------------------------------------------------------------------
glGenFramebuffers(1, &m_uiFrameBufferObject);
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, m_uiFrameBufferObject);
//---------------------
#ifdef WIN32 glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE);
//_ON_SOME_MACHINES_THIS_IS_REQUIRED / ON_SOME_IT_FAILS
glReadBuffer(GL_NONE);
//_SAME_AS_ABOVE
#endif
//---------------------
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_uiShadowMapTexture, 0);
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);
//====================================================================================================
This next part works fine when I render the depth models to a texture
//====================================================================================================
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glDepthMask(1);
glColorMask(GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE, GL_FALSE);
glDepthFunc(GL_LESS);
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, m_uiFrameBufferObject);
//draw calls....
//==========================================================================
Next comes the part where things fail.
glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);
glDepthMask(0);
glColorMask(GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE, GL_TRUE);
glDepthFunc(GL_EQUAL);

The glDepthMask() and glDepthFunc() both cause the screen to go blank. Any thoughts on this? Help on this matter would be much appreciated. Also, how should the glClear (GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT); line be setup. Should GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT be included since we are trying to use the information already stored instead of clearing it?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement