• Create Account

What way should I choose?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fataho   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

What I need to do is to create 3D environment with flora, animals and so on. I want to put it in to the server, and the users should be able to log in to it. The problem is, that this environment will change very rapidly: lands, islands, flora, animals, can change their shape position and so on. One place can become completely different, for example, from the desert with snakes to the forest with other creatures. This process must be continuous, it can not be changed by rapid updates and so on. This model can be similar to Runescape, user log in and play, practically no game installation needed, everything is in server. Problem is that Runescape 3D graphic are not very good, however I do not say that graphics are the most important. I just looking for the best variant. For example it would be great if I could directly import my 3ds max models like in Unreal 3 engine. Maybe it is possible to do what I want with some installation requirement from users? Where should I start? What engine should I use? I worked a little with Unreal engine. Is suitable for my purpose? Maybe I should start creating my own engine? What programming language is the most suitable for my goal? I haves studied JAVA and PHP. However I can choose other programming language. Also I am good at 3DS Max. Also I know that it is extremely hard work.

I would be very grateful for any opinion and any help.

Sponsor:

#2 Andy474   Members   -  Reputation: 672

0Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Read this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/gamedev-net-soapbox/why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo-r3160

If you don't know where to start with something this big, chances are your not ready for something as massive as this project.

Edited by Andy474, 14 June 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#3 Fataho   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Read this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/gamedev-net-soapbox/why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo-r3160

If you don't know where to start with something this big, chances are your not ready for something as massive as this project.

Thank you for your answer. If I were ready, I wouldn't post this topic. I have read what you gave, and I understand everything what are you saying. Could you please  suggest me were to start. I have good Java basics. I analysed deeply "An Introduction to Java Programming (Comprehensive Version).pdf" Also i am good at 3ds max. Now I want some suggestions where to increase my knowledge trying to reach my goals mentioned above. Thank you,

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5986

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thank you for your answer. If I were ready, I wouldn't post this topic. I have read what you gave, and I understand everything what are you saying. Could you please  suggest me were to start. I have good Java basics. I analysed deeply "An Introduction to Java Programming (Comprehensive Version).pdf" Also i am good at 3ds max. Now I want some suggestions where to increase my knowledge trying to reach my goals mentioned above. Thank you,

If you know Java(Allthough the basics aren't really enough for a game of that complexity) all you really need is LWJGL(a wrapper around OpenGL and some other useful native libraries) to get 3D graphics, the rest of the things you need are all in the standard library, (How good things will look is entierly down to how good you are at creating art and writing rendering code, and ofcourse what your target hardware is capable of.).

The only other options you have if you want the game to run from a browser without installation would be Flash, Unity or HTML5/WebGL/Websockets (not supported by all browsers yet).

Edited by SimonForsman, 16 June 2013 - 01:56 PM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#5 Fataho   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

If you know Java(Allthough the basics aren't really enough for a game of that complexity) all you really need is LWJGL(a wrapper around OpenGL and some other useful native libraries) to get 3D graphics, the rest of the things you need are all in the standard library, (How good things will look is entierly down to how good you are at creating art and writing rendering code, and ofcourse what your target hardware is capable of.).

The only other options you have if you want the game to run from a browser without installation would be Flash, Unity or HTML5/WebGL/Websockets (not supported by all browsers yet).

Thank you very much. I will try LWJGL. Also JMonkey engine as I know is build using LWJGL, maybe I should start from JMonkey or Xith3D (I know nothing about this engine)?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS