• Create Account

C++ programing book and game developing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

#1 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hey,

I am looking for a book (or more) for c++ that teach me the language from the beginning to the point where i should be an "expert" on it. (does not matter if i need more then one book i will learn it :) )

And if you guys could give me a book that would be good on game developing (I will use Opengl if that matter) that would help me move on.

i know that basics of c++ but i dont think i know enough, I really want a book that cover's everything that i should know.

thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsor:

#2 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 1782

5Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately just reading about C++ isn't going to take you from beginner to expert, it's going to take a long time and a lot of coding.

With that said, there are a number of excellent resources out there to set you on your way :

http://www.learncpp.com/

Game Coding Complete : http://www.amazon.com/Game-Coding-Complete-Fourth-Edition/dp/1133776574

Your best bet is to start small. Give yourself a project to complete, and code, code code. Try making a pac-man game, an implementation of snake, pong or space invaders. The important thing is to practise actually writing code - as much as you can!

Edited by Orangeatang, 14 June 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#3 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

thanks a lot!

is there any other books someone will recommend me?

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5756

7Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Here is the C++ section of my getting started in gamedev guide.  It contains free as well as dead tree book recommendations for learning C++, although you need to add +1 to the edition at this point.  Make sure whatever book you pay for is oriented toward C++ 11.  Basically open it up and if smart pointers ( unique_ptr, shared_ptr, weak_ptr ) aren't mentioned in the first half of the text, put it back on the self.  You will find this happens FARRRRRR to often, where the authors are being lazy and just adding the C++11 stuff as new chapters at the end, which is very much the wrong approach.  Far too many C++ books, as a result of being 9th editions, are teaching some very horrible and outdated C++ techniques.

Once you know what you are doing, get Effective C++, it's one of the best computer texts ever written and will make you a better programmer.  I hope he does an update soon.

I haven't checked it out recently, but the Without Fear series was always very accessible, so if you struggle with dry textbooks on C++, it might be a good choice.  Not sure if its updated and if they did a good job or not though.

#5 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

1Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

thanks, i dont really have an access to see the books because in my city there isnt really a "computer" section, and i am pretty sure there isnt any books on c++ on my city,

so if you could please tell me what book should be good that teaches the latest c++ version and techniques that would be great and im pretty much not just for me but for

everyone who is looking for one so as I.

i will order from Amazon if that's possible and i would like to order the second book you suggested too so i will look for a book too if you guys cant find one and i will update you guys here :)

thanks for your help and i hope you will keep helping me and other's :)

#6 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5756

8Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

thanks, i dont really have an access to see the books because in my city there isnt really a "computer" section, and i am pretty sure there isnt any books on c++ on my city,

so if you could please tell me what book should be good that teaches the latest c++ version and techniques that would be great and im pretty much not just for me but for

everyone who is looking for one so as I.

i will order from Amazon if that's possible and i would like to order the second book you suggested too so i will look for a book too if you guys cant find one and i will update you guys here smile.png

thanks for your help and i hope you will keep helping me and other's smile.png

I need to warn you, until you know C++, Effective C++ will be absolutely useless to you!  It's about making you a better C++ programmer, not teaching you C++ in general.  The book assumes a lot of prior knowledge.  You could get something out of it, but without experience, it wont be much.

If you can read books online, you may want to consider Safari Books Online.   That is what I personally use, its an online subscription to about 14000 books.  Its pricey or cheap depending on your perspective, its about the same as 2/3 a new book per month, so if you buy a book a month, it's a bargain, if you dont, its not.  OF course, if you cant read on a screen, it wont be much use to use, but I read on my tablets or on screen without issue.

I just did a quick look on Safari, ordered by date.

The author of C++ without Fear ( a great beginners text ) has released C++ for the Impatient, which looks like a very good option, if you have some prior programming experience.  ( It assumes you know some programming basics, but no prior C or C++ knowledge ).  The author does a great job of making difficult things easy to understand.  The book is obviously written for C++ 11 which is nice.

C++ for Programmers, 2nd Edition has been updated to C++11.  I just now skimmed the changes and its somewhat obvious C++ was bolted on ( pointers are in chapter 8, while smart pointers are in chapter 11 for example ), they have updated the text with callouts saying when C++11 has rendered something bad practice.  Seems like an OK book, but might be a bit confusing to learn from.

C++ How to program 9th Edition has been updated for C++11, but it appears to be a bolt on.  Again, pointers are mentioned, this time without even talking about alternatives... C++ pointers have to wait until chapter 17 and 23, so basically the back.  auto isn't mentioned until half way through the book, lamdas until 3/4 the way.  Basically it looks like this revision just had the C++11 stuff bolted on.

C++ Primer Plus, 5th Edition doesn't even talk about memory management until chapter 12... at all!  This sounds bad but isn't, this is a very very very good approach to teaching C++.  Then it introduces memory management using C++ style memory management, and has the warning "Until you have read Chapter 13, your classes should allocate dynamic memory only if they use smart pointers to manage that memory."  Impressed.  It looks like C++ Primer Plus is the only one of the three prior books that didn't just bolt the C++11 stuff on top.

So, from my initial scans, I would recommend C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition or C++ for the Impatient, if you have prior programming experience.

That said, I only have access to the Safari books, which doesn't include Bjarne's book, the C++ Programming Language, which may or may not have been updated.  That is a really really really dry book though, so even if it has been updated, it can be a bit difficult to read.

Edited by Serapth, 14 June 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#7 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 1782

3Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

get Effective C++

Absolutely - it's one of the most helpful books I've read... but as Serapth said, you do need to know C++ quite well before it will be of any use.

#8 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1469

3Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Not to repeat myself: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/642074-accelerated-c-or-programming-principles-and-practice-using-c/#entry5055213 :-)

TL;DR: I'd go with "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée LaJoie, Barbara E. Moo.

// NOT "C++ Primer Plus" by Prata -- HORRIBLE book!

#9 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

4Likes

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Id go for "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. Its a good book for complete beginners and is not a daunting 1000 page tome like other books.

#10 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

1Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I think i order the Primer Plus 5th Edition but i dont really know what is better, should i order that book or c++ for the impatient?

thanks for the help really!

i dont need a book from the complete beginning but thanks! :)

#11 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

2Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

im going to order "C++ For The Impatient" for 63$ and i found a full pdf version of Primer Plus 5th Edition,

the primer plus 5th is a problem for me to buy because it will ship only in 5 weeks (not including the time it will take to get to my city) and it cost double if i select a faster delivery..

Thanks a lot for the help ! :)

#12 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5756

3Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

If you have a small amount of programming skill, that was probably a good choice. If you have no prior experience you may struggle a little bit.

It's funny you went with the impatient title because the other one was going to take too long! :)

On that note, 5 weeks, wtf?

#13 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

1Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

i do have prior experience :)

Yeah lol.. i think the 5 weeks thing is because im from Israel.

i hope i did a good choice by ordering this one :P

thanks for your help!

#14 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1469

1Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

MzDay: I'd sincerely advise you *AGAINST* getting "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata, it's an AWFUL book which is only going to teach you bad practices, which you then are going to have to un-learn. This will only slow you down when trying to write your own mini-projects on the side (and taking this active approach is *the* way to learn, reading is necessary but not sufficient) and you're only going to waste your time this way.

I'd definitely recommend getting "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée LaJoie, Barbara E. Moo instead.

Even just going through Part I of it (only 305 pages, I think that's shorter than any other book suggested here? with Part II it's still less 500 pages and covers tons more stuff than most books of even larger size) is better for starters than reading _entire_ "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata.

If you want to have a complete book which is short and you're fine with getting something pre-C++11 (some books suggested here were published in 2010 or earlier), then it's much better to go with "Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo. // http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Again, it's 350 pages in total, and going through these is going to make you a much better programmer than wasting time on 700+ pages of "C++ on Impatient" or the Prata's book.

Last but not least -- by "going through" I mean the *active* approach (including but not limited to doing all the programming exercises and your own mini-game projects (start with simple, text-based stuff as soon as you feel ready using the concepts you're learning as you go along) on the side), not just *passive* reading (this won't make you a programmer).

I know I can safely recommend  "C++ Primer, 5th Edition" or "Accelerated C++", since their programming exercises are pretty good, too (in fact, perhaps the ones in the second one are somewhat better -- "AC++" has fewer but more "ambitious" exercises, some of which are mini-programming projects (which is a good thing!), "C++P" has more exercises but many of them are very minimal -- it all depends on your individual preferred learning style, though, I suppose). I didn't see other books praised for their practical aspects -- which IMHO should tell you something.

Edited by Matt-D, 15 June 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#15 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I actually ordered already C++ for Impatient and i dont really mind reading 700 pages.

i will practice and make mini projects and games :)

um.. you think the book i ordered isnt that good? i mean, will it teach me every thing i need to know on c++? (of course not everything but at least what i need)

after reading this book i will order the Effective C++ book and on the way will make mini games and try to improve them in time :)

by the way, i got the book "Opengl programming guide 8th edition" that just came out and i will learn from it Opengl, do you think its good? or should i learn from other book or a good tutorial from the web?

thanks!

#16 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 1782

1Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

For graphic tutorials, this is a fantastic resource :

http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html

A wealth of information on both DirectX and OpenGL.

#17 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

none of it is complete it..

what about the book i got? its not good?

thanks

#18 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5756

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Don't worry, the book you got is fine.

The only book that people are saying is bad is C++ Primer Plus, which has a very similar title to C++ Primer, which is the other book I recommended to you.

#19 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

Ok thanks! :)

lol i cant wait i started already from other sites :P

#20 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 740

-2Likes

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Have a look at www.MarekKnows.com and follow along with the video tutorials to help you learn to program in C++ and make games.

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS