• Create Account

make game engine?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 moeen k   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

hello i have programed opengl and directx for a while but i want to konow how to make and engine and tools with them? shoul i have underestandings of win api . i want to know how you can make animtree or level editor , material eitor like something in unreal engine? is there a book that can show the way how they realy make and engine? thanks

Sponsor:

#2 the_prodigy   Members   -  Reputation: 220

1Likes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

You can take a look at "game coding complete". It explains the bare bone structure of a game engine. Further it shows you how to write an edior in c# and implement network play. Another book that comes to my mind is "3d game engine design". This takes itself way more serious and the first part is more an advanced math course but you can benefit from it aswell.

#3 Madd   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

You can use the WinAPI if you want your engine to work only on Windows. If you want to port it to other platforms, you will have to use some cross-platform libraries, such as SDL.

Really there is no standard way to design a game engine. It all depends on your needs. If you want a place to start, you could check out other game engines.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS