Am I The Only One Who Buys "Outdated" Games & Systems ?

Started by
27 comments, last by SuperG 10 years, 9 months ago

I am wondering if I am the only one who buys games and game counsels that are considered "outdated" .

Through out my life I never have had a lot of money to waste, and have developed a "late adapter" attitude to games.

When folks were buying Wii games, I was buying N64 games. When folks were buying PS3 games, I was buying PS1 games.

It's kind of odd, that I bought my first ps2 counsel for $45, and my first PS2 "slim" for $20 - when others were shelling out hundreds of dollars for the latest ps3 .

I find it kind of odd that I sometimes wait 10+ years to buy games for $15 that others have payed $70 for, and I buy game systems that are at least 1 generation "outdated" .

On Steam, I buy quite a few games, however they are the ones on "sale" or are priced under $10 ( and I like ) .

Am I the only one who does this ?

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

Nope. I do so as well. I have a PS2. And that's it. And I still buy games for it. And if I had a Wii/WiiU, all I would do is buy retro games from there. The nostalgia is strong within me. Plus, the price point and lasting quality of the game still compels me to go for the older games than the newer games.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Yup, I just recently bought a PS3. Man is it feeling it's age ;)

You mentioning the PS3, just reminded me. The reason why I go for older nowadays is because I can't stand the PC-ization of the consoles. The constant updating of the OS and waiting minutes if not hours for the damn thing to finish. Why can't I just pop in my game and play?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

cutting_edge.png

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

You mentioning the PS3, just reminded me. The reason why I go for older nowadays is because I can't stand the PC-ization of the consoles. The constant updating of the OS and waiting minutes if not hours for the damn thing to finish. Why can't I just pop in my game and play?

My son felt that distinctly when trying to play Little Big Planet 2. 17 game updates, one of them a full GB, before he could play. Combined with the slow PSN download speed, it was over an hour from insert disc to playing the game.

* snip *

That's pretty much how I feel sometimes.

I didn't buy the HL2 episodes until 8 months ago on steam ...

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Same here. I just bought the latest PS3 gen, and probably won't be buying PS4 until...2015, or whenever they release the second gen of PS4.

I've got a pretty healthy collection of consoles (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, 360, Gameboy color, GBA, 3DS). All but the Atari were purchased when they were relatively new, and I've never sold or given away a console (My N64 was pilfered once, so I had to buy a replacement, though). I've got probably 4-5 hundred games between them. Actually, I don't think I've ever sold or given away a game unless I had duplicates of it. I even have my the boxed copy of Daikatana for my N64 that's in its box, wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap, wrapped in a layer of duct tape, with a skull-and-crossbones scrawled on front so that the misfortune of actually playing it never befalls anyone else.

I still buy games for any of them -- either gems I didn't get to play, or rare titled -- basically stuff I want for whatever reason. Emulation is all well and good, but its not quite the same. I even keep a small tube-TV around because a lot of old games either don't work (light gun), look like ass (no color bleeding on digital panels), or don't feel right due to the lag from the image processing that many modern TVs do.

Just this weekend I bought copies of Dodgeball and Final Fantasy I (with player guide and world map / beastiary!) for my NES, and Knuckles' Chaotix for my 32x. Progress is great and all, but there's a lot to be said for many old games.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I find it a little bit insane that someone would consider themself a game developer, but not keep up with modern games. (As well as being familiar with the classics.)

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement