• Create Account

How to specialize template for method

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1626

0Likes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

I am back to C++ after many, many years' absence. I'm trying to create a simple vector class (non-interesting stuff removed):

template <class T>
class Vector3
{
public:
	T length();
public:
	T x, y, z;
};

I want to specialize the length method so that I can select the correct version of sqrt to call based on type of T. The best I can come up with is the following. "Best" is really a misnomer, since it doesn't compile. Can someone enlighten me what the best way to do this would be?

template <>
void Vector3<int>::length()
{
	return (T) sqrtl((long)(this->x * this->x) + (long)(this->y * this->y) + (long)(this->z * this->z));
}
template <>
void Vector3<long>::length()
{
	return (T) sqrtl((this->x * this->x) + (this->y * this->y) + (this->z * this->z));
}
template <>
void Vector3<float>::length()
{
	return (T) sqrtf((this->x * this->x) + (this->y * this->y) + (this->z * this->z));
}
template <>
void Vector3<double>::length()
{
	return (T) sqrt((this->x * this->x) + (this->y * this->y) + (this->z * this->z));
}
template <class T>
T Vector3<T>::length()
{
	return (T) sqrt((double)(this->x * this->x) + (double)(this->y * this->y) + (double)(this->z * this->z));
}

Thanks in advance!

Signed,

Clueless about C++

Sponsor:

#2 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1626

0Likes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ah, duh. I figured it out. I have the specializations returning void, and am casting to (T) when it doesn't even know what (T) is since it's not in the template angle braces.

#3 Juliean   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 2454

3Likes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wait.. since when do you need a different sqrt-function for different data types? Did I miss somehing, or is this just an example? You could however delegate this problem with using a global function that is overloaded for the different data types:

void mySqrt(int x)
{
return sqrtl(x);
}

void mySqrt(float x)
{
return sqrt(x);
}

void mySqrt(double x)
{
return sqrt(x);
}

Now call mySqrt in length() instead of sqrt, and only provide this one implementation, the correct function overload will be choosen for you. Downside is that you now need an explicit implementation for every data type, unless this works with a forth templated function too (you'd have to try).

EDIT: Being ninja'd by the OP... now that just sucks :P

Edited by Juliean, 21 June 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#4 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1626

0Likes

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Good point. I forgot that sqrt is overloaded anyway. Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS