• Create Account

Good indie games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1133

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi. So I'm looking for indie games to play. Do you have any recommendations? I especially like puzzle platformers, side scrollers. Or something like that.

My favorite indie games:

Braid,

Minecraft,

Limbo,

Rico - A tale of two brothers

Thomas was alone,

So any games along those lines. Because I'm really getting sick of those repetitive AAA games. I mean REALLY sick.

Is it just me, or there are almost no good modern AAA games? Not counting Portal 1 & 2, and Mirrors Edge, because they are awesome.

But seriously, Battlefield 3 campaign feels just like any Modern Warfare or Black ops games. You shoot something, there are few movie-like scenes but nothing more than that.

Ok i'm not here to rant. 

So do you guys have any suggestions? I am talking about PC indine games. Because I don't own any console. Also android games would be good, but I have very slow phone (600MHZ, OC'd to 806MHZ, 320x240 screen), so I don't think there are good games for MY phone.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

Sponsor:

#2 amrazek111   Members   -  Reputation: 692

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Have you tried Super Meat Boy or Fez? 

#3 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1133

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Have you tried Super Meat Boy or Fez? 

Oh I should download Super Meat Boy. I tried to download Fez, but it didn't work for some reason. 

Thanks.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18496

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Actually, Shadowgrounds and Trine was by the same company, so you might be able to get them bundled together.

I'm not sure if you'd count it indie, but Dungeon Defenders provided some of the most fun (splitscreen coop, but also online play, and also solo play) for any game I've played, and I probably put in over 75 hours on it. Well worth the money, whether you want to play single-player or coop.

• Spy Party is pretty fun, but rather intense.
  • Saira was enjoyable while it lasted.
  • I also like to play Galcon Fusion from time to time. Everyday Shooter also.
  • For a single cooperative playthrough, the free game At a Distance was fun. Only lasted 45 minutes, can only be played once, and must be played cooperative on two separate machines (laptops are fine) in the same room.

Most of these games I picked up on sale. I suggest adding them to your Steam wishlist, and get a few during the next major Steam sale.

I've heard really high praise, from people who's opinions I respect, for Bastion. It's on my 'TODO list' of games to play.

Also on my TODO list is: Antichamber, The Witness (not yet released - from the Braid developer), Proteus, and Dear Esther.

I'm heavily into 'experimental' design games, and cooperative games, so my tastes might differ from yours. If I had to suggest any one single-player game, I'd say VVVVVV. If I had to suggest any cooperative game, I'd say Shadowgrounds. But then I'd also recommend Dungeon Defenders as a follow up to either of those suggestions, whether I'm suggesting single-player or cooperative gaming.

These are all indie or indie-ish games.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 25 June 2013 - 10:12 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1133

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

• Atom Zombie Smasher
  • Frozen Synapse
  • VVVVVV (one of the best indie games I've played)
  • Shadowgrounds (for same-screen cooperative play)
  • Shadowgrounds: Survivor (for same-screen cooperative play - but the first was better)
  • Trine (same screen cooperative play, for up to three people)
  • Battle for Wesnoth (opensource TBS)

Great list. Thanks! I will try to check out all of them.

#6 shuma-gorath   Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

I enjoyed Rochard.  I would describe it as a puzzle platformer.

#7 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 970

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I recommend checking out Cave Story, developed by Daisuke Amaya. It is a free download with an English patch available.

#8 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 1455

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Mark of the ninja (http://www.markoftheninja.com/) is excellent

#9 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4161

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

In addition to what's been mentioned, Terraria and Monaco are also favorites of mine.

#10 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7116

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Behemoth's games Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers were great fun, and their new game BattleBlock Theater looks fun but I haven't played it yet.

#11 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17964

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

In addition to many of the above you could check out Snapshot -- it's a neat little plat-former with a mechanic based around taking photos to move parts of the scenery.

It's not a platformer or side-scroller, but my wife and I also really liked The Binding of Isaac, and have spent hours playing through it and unlocking many of the ridiculous number of items, additional bad-guys and achievements.

#12 modred11   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I used to play a lot of flash games of that sort. I'm not completely certain these are all indie games, I apologize if some of them aren't.

Flash Games:

Non-flash Games:

gah, I know there were dozens of fun indie platformers I played over time, but I don't have a list of them : ( I found most of them (and these) on the indiegames blog and TIG Source, (and by browsing kongregate). I'll try to remember to look when I get home to get a more complete list.

#13 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3678

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Not mentioned yet: Unepic

#14 Gavin Williams   Members   -  Reputation: 648

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Dwarf Fortress

Brogue

Legend of Grimrock

#15 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 789

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Knights of pen and paper

#16 tmccolgan88   Members   -  Reputation: 254

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hotline Miami <- Probably my favorite indie title to date

Super meat boy

Fez

Monaco

The Binding of isaac

Mark of the Ninja

Retro City Rampage.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS