• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Need a Recommendation for Programming Literature

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grey13   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

After hearing the sound advice of trying several different programming languages to see which one stuck, I've decided to invest in some literature. The problem now is in which ones and that's why I'm here.

So, which books would you guys recommend for beginner programming in Java, XNA, and/or C# towards 2d games? If there are any books in other laguages that you think would help me more in this regard, list them too.

Sponsor:

#2 Nightgaunt   Members   -  Reputation: 262

1Likes

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I've found some books online that are free, so while they may or may not be the best, at least the price is right.

- C# Programming, by Rob Miles. Used by the University of Hull in the UK. http://www.csharpcourse.com/

- Introduction to Programming Through Game Development Using Microsoft XNA Game Studio, by Rob Miles. http://www.andrews.edu/~greenley/cs2/IntroProgXNAGameStudio_eBook.pdf

- Bookboon has some C# and Java textbooks. Their business model seems to be the textbooks are free, but with some adds in them.  http://bookboon.com/en/it-programming-ebooks

I haven't had a chance to read them yet, so perhaps someone better informed then I can comment on their quality (I'm especially curious if anyone's tried the Bookboon ones).

#3 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1435

0Likes

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

If you wanna go C++, here is my list:

Beginning C++ through Game Programming

C++ For Dummies Complete Desk Reference

Data Structures For Game Programmers

Game Programming All In One 3rd Edition

#4 Grey13   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

If you wanna go C++, here is my list:

Beginning C++ through Game Programming

C++ For Dummies Complete Desk Reference

Data Structures For Game Programmers

Game Programming All In One 3rd Edition

Isn't C++ a bit tough for a newbie?

Edited by Grey13, 27 June 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#5 MarekKnows.com   Members   -  Reputation: 686

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

If you are just starting off, then I would recommend using a game engine such as Unity.  There are online video tutorials that will get you started and if that is not enough, then you can spend some cash on books.

---
Free C++, OpenGL, and Game Development Video Tutorials @
www.MarekKnows.com
Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS