Creating an "engine" with SFML: Is it worth it?

Started by
1 comment, last by Cornstalks 10 years, 9 months ago
When I first messed around with making games, I had used GameMaker. The way that game maker is organized is you create objects, code their behavior, and put them in a room and run the game. Now I've moved on to C++/SFML. I am I just started on a way to organize sounds/images, but it involves running a python script to update a resources.h file that maps sprite IDs to resource paths. It seems to me that I'll need to do something similar for objects, scenes, etc. and it seems really hacky/a lot of work. Is this the normal way that people develop 2D games? Or do they generally just hardcode paths to sprites whenever they need to/something else? Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
You generally want a resource management system, wether as primitive as a new line separated text file, or as advanced as an embedded database. In your case, a simple JSON file would probably be ideal.

On top of that, you want a resource loader, check out part 9 of the tutorial linked in my sig for an example. Generally a simple std::map with the file name as a key and the file or file path as the value would suffice. This system makes it easy to load resources in advance as well as makes caching simple.

What's "normally" done depends on the game (and the size of it). A studio making a AAA game will likely invest in building many tools that will handle packaging, loading, finding, and updating game assets. A smaller studio, independent developer, or hobbyist might not have the resources or time to put into making such fancy tools, so they do whatever works for them (whether or not it's something that would be considered ideal by others).

I started an interesting thread once about packed asset files in which some members discussed their team's/company's workflow and how it handles various assets. I think you might enjoy reading some of the responses there (whether or not you use packed asset files; the general workflow of "the pros" is interesting to read at the very least).

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement