• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Beginning 3d programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maroen   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

Some months ago I started programming 2d games in C++ using SFML. I made some games like Pong and a small RPG. I feel like I know 2d games quite well now, and I'm considering starting to make 3d games. But am I ready yet, and where should I start? I don't want to use a pre-made engine like untity or UDK, but rather make my own engine possibly or use an existing library. But I need your advise on where to  start.

Thanks for any serious answers!

~Maroen

Edited by Maroen, 26 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1654

1Likes

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi,
I'd start with the following steps:

- make sure you're knowledged on classes/OOP in c++
- learn an api like opengl or direct3d, personally I use d3d (11 or 9)
But first (or parallel) learn or freshen up math (vectors, matrices, planes etc), without getting the hang of this you might be able to make a DIY engine, but with struggles and lots of copy pasting

On both the math and d3d I can advice the books of author Frank Luna, this covers both the math basics and d3d (including the basics of shaders). There's a d3d9 and 11 version available.
Make sure you buy the book the legal way, so we can have a d3d12 version later on :)

#3 Maroen   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I will be looking into Direct3d then, thanks for the advice.

#4 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I would recommend using a nice 3D wrapper library which allows for great performance and flexibility first, and you can learn about low-level OpenGL / DirectX later on.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS