So, I've been working on upgrading the art for my game and, due to its relative simplicity and my very low artistic skills, chosen pixel art. Another reason is to make it a little retro.
For that reason I turned to Riuthamus for some help and he helped me greatly. Thanks to his help, I managed to create few good powerup icons and tiles. Game looks much more appealing now.
However, I need a feedback and a little more guidance. I don't want to bother Riuthamus constantly, he has his life and job, so I came here for some tips Of course, I won't stay idle and work on it more, and I also have other things to fix (found few major bugs in the game) and draw.
What I'd like to ask is some feedback about the tiles - how do they look and what should I improve.
- Tanks are made by Riuthamus, I just did the shading. Outline around first and second tank is supposed to be protective shield.
- Concrete blocks are simple squares with applied Noise filter to get rough concrete-like surface.
- Bricks were made with Texturize filter. I'm satisfied with effect.
- Water... eh, the one in 2nd row I made by myself but I cannot make it look good. I've looked at few pixel art tutorials and followed them, but the result isn't satisfying. Water below it is downloaded from the Internet and I'd like to keep it but it won't follow the theme.
- Trees I made entirely by myself using the example Riuthamus provided me.
- Fort... bleh. I have no idea how to make it appealing nor how to shade it. I wanted to base it off this but spectatularely failed.
In addition to that, I have a question (I don't know if I'll phrase it right): how often should I consider using Photoshop filters? I used Noise and Texturize because I though I'd get the result I want and wanted to speed up the process when I can.
Thanks in advance