• Create Account

Map Editor Help

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSin   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

So I am preparing to create my own map editor for an XNA game I will be working on.  The map editor will need the ability to import graphic sprite sheets, allow me to pick various tiles on those sprite sheets and plot them on a virtual game map.  It will also need auto tiling and perhaps even other features later on.  Upon saving the map the editor will transform the tile ID's, map layer ID's and sprite sheet file data into a single .map file.

I don't want to embed XNA in a forms project, but I do want to be able to run my map in XNA by use of a play button on the editor interface, to test the map in XNA.

Herein lies the problem, I am not sure where to start.  Should I go with WPF? Or maybe forms and create a series of custom controls?  Or perhaps a forms project where I go batty with GDI+?  Or perhaps some other route for the editor.  I need an outside the box opinion here.

P.S. - I know these types of editors already exist, some for free and others to purchase.  However, I want to create a proprietary one that will be used for games created by my studio going forward.  Thus I am not interested in trying or buying any pre-made editors.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

#2 Andy474   Members   -  Reputation: 651

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

why not just run in the XNA window?

do you NEED the GUI? WPF is a really nice wy to go (personally i love the whole bining thing) but why not have it run in the XNA with your game?

#3 BlueSin   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

That is true, there is no REAL reason not to make the whole thing in XNA.  Albeit would be a little more work as an editor would require *some* controls at the very least to be partly functional.  The GUI just helps it feel more professional and clean I guess.

#4 JeffCarp   Members   -  Reputation: 274

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

My outside the box suggestion is perhaps considering a third-party tool such as the Tiled map editor -- http://www.mapeditor.org/ -- if something like that suits your needs adequately?

Good luck, cheers!

P.S. No affiliation to the product, just a happy end-user! :-)

#5 BlueSin   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

That is helpful too, but it is lacking on features for what I want to do in the long run.  I think I am going to go with Andy's idea here and create my game project in XNA then create an XNA library for my map editor so that I can trigger that mode as I see fit.  Thanks all!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS