• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

What Engine to start with?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 b4hofer   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hello,

I suppose this is a frequently asked question, but I didn't yet find an answer to it.

So, I want to get started with game development and the question is: What Engine should I start with? I have knowledge in C++, C# and Java and I've already tried out Cryengine 3, Unity and bought a book on DirectX 11 with C++, which seems too complicated and I guess programming your own Engine won't get you really far unless you're an experienced game programmer, but I may be wrong.

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly, but the problem is that you have to log in to play the game after you release it. Unity is beginner-friendly too, but in my opinion I can't get as much out of it as I can with Cryengine.

What Engines do you guys use, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5787

0Likes

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hello,

I suppose this is a frequently asked question, but I didn't yet find an answer to it.

So, I want to get started with game development and the question is: What Engine should I start with? I have knowledge in C++, C# and Java and I've already tried out Cryengine 3, Unity and bought a book on DirectX 11 with C++, which seems too complicated and I guess programming your own Engine won't get you really far unless you're an experienced game programmer, but I may be wrong.

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly, but the problem is that you have to log in to play the game after you release it. Unity is beginner-friendly too, but in my opinion I can't get as much out of it as I can with Cryengine.

What Engines do you guys use, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly

Yeah... no, CryEngine is certainly not beginner friendly.  Do a search on developers using CryEngine, you wont hear too many good things, especially from indies.  I maintain a list of modern indie friendly engines, that's a place to start.  If it were me, depending on language I would go with C++:GamePlay3D or Ogre3D, Java:jMonkeyEngine, C#:Unity. Those are simply opinion though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS